Pages

Friday 12 August 2016

Spots and Speckles

I lost Benji's dog lead at Stanton Park yesterday afternoon, so decided to go back this morning, just on the off chance that it might have been found or I might come across it.

The last time I had it was in the orchard, which was where I was watching Spotted Flycatcher family feeding yesterday and as it turned out also today as well. In fact not only did I see this family but 3 others around the pool, with at least 12 birds in total. Its been a good year for them.

Today was also a lot sunnier, but still quite breezy and the majority of butterflies I came across were Speckled Woods, which I unsurprisingly I found along the woodland paths, avoiding the wind. The sun also brought out the dragonflies and damselflies, especially around the reed beds of the main pool, where I also had 2 Migrant Hawkers (Aeshna mixta) which continually flew around my head.

Also in good numbers were Common Darters with at least 1 mating pair, and I also came across my first Small Red-eyed damselfly (Erythromma viridulum) of the year and a fly-by Kingfisher.

Here are a few images from today:

An apple tree makes a good perch for this juvenile Spotted Flycatcher. Though it looks as if Mum hasn't caught anything!

Another juvenile on a post.......

......and this one preferred to be high up on a branch.

A very young Spotted Flycatcher and unrelated to the 3 above. I fact I reckon this one has just left the nest as the yellow fleshy gape flange is quite clear to see.

One of many Common Darters seen around the main pool. This one is a male..........

.....and this is another male mating with a female.

A Common Blue Damselfly

And my first Small Red-eyed Damselfly of the year.

A Honeybee takes off from the flower of a Water Mint

A Meadow Brown

And one of many Speckled Woods seen along the woodland paths.

Bird Recorded: 1 Grey Heron, 3 Mute Swan (2 adult, 1 juv), 53 Mallard, 1 Buzzard, 1 Red Kite, Moorhen, 3 Black-headed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 1 Kingfisher, House Martin, Swallow, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, 1 Common Whitethroat, 2 Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, 12+ Spotted Flycatcher, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Nuthatch, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Chaffinch, 2 Linnet, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Bullfinch.

Also: 5 Southern Hawkers, 2 Emperor Dragonfly's, at least 2 Common Hawkers (Aeshna juncea), 8 Common Darter, Common Blue Damselfly, Red-eyed Damselfly (Erythromma najas), 5 Speckled Woods, Green-veined White, Large White, Small White, Meadow Brown and 2 Hornets.

And Yellow-bellied Terrapin.

Note: Didn't find Benji's lead!!!