Pages

Thursday 28 February 2013

Sunny Lagoon

Unfortunately my planned walk around Coate Water and an opportunity to tick off Treecreeper on my year list was scuppered, when I had to stay at work a bit longer than I had planned.  Still the walk around Liden Lagoon was still enjoyable, as once again there was some afternoon sun. The first thing I noticed when I parked up, was that the Alders next to the car park all have catkins and the huge flock of Goldfinches and Siskins which had been feeding on last years cones, were gone. In fact I only came across one Siskin on the walk around the Lagoon.  Other changes since I was here last, on the 5th February, was the slight increase of Canada Geese from 20 to 27 and that there are only the two resident Mute Swans. There was no sign of last year’s 3 juveniles, so I’m presuming the cob drove them off.

Last visit I saw 4 drake Pochard and today there were 5, however going the other way, there are only 3 drake Tufted Duck now from the 12 recorded on the 5th.

Drake Pochard

  The Moorhens were out in force with lots of quarreling  The ones I did count totaled 17, but I wouldn't doubt that there were several more lurking around the islands.  I only managed 5 Coots and yet again a solitary Great Crested Grebe.  Surely there must be another one on the Lagoon!!  Overhead a Grey Heron flew east and over the busy A419.

The busy A419 to the east of Liden Lagoon

Similar to Lawns yesterday, the number of Woodpigeons is quite high running into the 20’s and I did manage to catch a quick glimpse of a Collared Dove.  I’m hoping the Collared Doves are sitting on their nests now, as in my back garden I only have one bird visiting.  Either he or she has lost his mate to the talons of a Sparrowhawk or hopefully the female is on her nest.

Other birds of note were several large Gulls, notably two pristine adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls, two beautifully marked Herring Gulls and juveniles of different ages.  A few more Black-headed Gulls are now sporting black heads, which is their summer plumage and as I reached the opposite end of the lagoon a Common Gull was just leaving.

Lesser Black-backed Gull

A 1st Winter (left) and an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull

Two adult Herring Gulls

Juvenile Black-headed Gull

Below the railings on the west bank a Grey Wagtail, was busy snapping up flies by the overflow pipe.

Grey Wagtail

Close to the car park on the return leg a large Bumblebee shot pass me and though it was travelling at speed the White tail was quite distinct. (White-tailed Bumblebee - Bombus lucorum)

Other birds recorded were, Mallard, Starling, Magpies, Carrion Crow, Wren, Dunnock, Blackbird, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tits, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, House Sparrow (Total of 30 Species Recorded).