Pages

Tuesday 30 April 2013

An Evening of Sun at Stanton Park Lake

Its a long time since I've got my bike out, but I am so glad I did. A 25 minute cycle ride to Stanton Lake, a 4 hour Tench fishing session and a first bird for the county, a Spotted Flycatcher that I caught feeding above my head on peg 4. What a great start to the evening.

The bike ride took a little longer than anticipated, and trying to cross over some of the main roads was a nightmare. By the time I'd got to the Honda factory, I realised it was kicking out time. There's me heading towards Stanton, whilst everybody else on bikes, was heading back into Swindon. At least the cycle path was fairly wide.

Once into Stanton Park it was free wheel down to peg 4, which I was pleased to see, was vacant. All around me were birds singing, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps and the occasional burst of song from a Reed Warbler on the opposite bank. As I was putting my fishing tackle together a Willow Warbler came down close to me and was seen feeding on small insects. Interestingly though, for the 4 hours I was at the Lake, not once did I hear any Willows Warblers singing. Though obviously they were about.  With the rod set up and a small piece of sweetcorn on the hook, out it went into the lake about 4 metres or so. Sitting back in my seat a duck Mallard passed by with at least 15 freshly hatched ducklings, all trying to keep up with mum.

Within 15 minutes my float dipped and I was in to my first fish of the evening. A beautiful 5lb Tench.  They really know how to put up a fight. By the time I'd played it out and landed it, my arms were killing me.

5lb Tench

It wasn't long before I was into another one. But I was watching a Sparrowhawk whizzing through and by the time I'd realised the float had gone down, I'd struck to late. Even though it was on for a few seconds, a great mass of bubbles erupting across the lake, told me I'd lost that one.

It was a good hour later when the best fish of the day pulled the float down. Another terrific "battle" and a beautifully shaped Tench of 6lb was on the bank. It looked absolutely pristine, without a blemish or scar in sight, which is more than I can say for my next fish.

Biggest of the Evening a 6lb Tench

As I slipped it back into the water a small bird caught my eye as it flew across the lake and landed on the bare branches of an Ash Tree to my right. It wasn't until it landed, that I realised it was a Spotted Flycatcher. Typically, Spotted Flycatchers will take off from a branch to catch a small insect in a hover-like manner and then alight back on to the branch from which it had taken off.. And sure enough, as if straight out of the text book, it did that several times before moving off to a tree to my left. I watched it for a good 5 minutes or so and then it moved on out of sight. Yet again I seem to be in the right place at the right time at the moment. What with the Osprey and Hobby I saw recently. If this is happening in three's per month. I wonder what May will bring, I'm gardening tomorrow (1st May), should be interesting!

Spotted Flycatcher

Spotted Flycatcher

Having got over the excitement of seeing such a lovely bird, it was back to the fishing and into Tench number 3. But what a strange looking Tench it was. It had a really deformed mouth, resembling a male Salmon when they are spawning, and their mouths take on that hook like appearance. Its what they call a kype and is used to fight off rivals. This Tench was obviously used to it and its weight of 5lb 10oz showed that it was a survivor. Really weird as to how it came about!

5lb 10oz Tench

Deformed mouth

The next fish wasn't a surprise, I had been throwing in a little bit of groundbait and free offerings of Sweetcorn, so hooking a Bream of 4lb 12oz was expected. After that it was two more Tench, one of 4lb 8oz and another 5lb 10oz specimen. The thing that stuck me was that, unlike Bream, Roach and Perch, every Tench I caught this evening was different in its appearance. Apart from the 6lb fish, which was near perfect, all the others were different shapes, colours and in some cases deformed. It will be interesting to see how many times I catch the same fish over the coming months.

The last fish of the day was another Bream, slightly bigger at 5lb. I fished on for another 10 minutes but the water in front of me was like a mill pond without a single Tench bubble in sight, which told me they had moved on and it was probably time time to pack up.

Bream 4lb 12oz

Male Bream develop white lumps, called tubercles, on their heads when they are spawning.

4lb 10oz Tench

5lb 10oz Tench

Last fish of the day a 5lb Bream

What an amazing evening I had, the bird watching was excellent and the fishing superb. I even managed to photograph the Bee-fly that I'd seen last week, but was unable to photograph.

Bee-fly (Bombylius major) with its long proboscis

All in all 47 birds were recorded from 4:45pm - 8:20pm
Grey HeronMute Swan, A pair of Tufted DuckMallard plus 15 ducklings, Common BuzzardSparrowhawkPheasantRed PartridgeMoorhenCootBlack-headed GullHerring GullLesser Black-backed GullWoodpigeonStock DoveCollared DoveGreat Spotted WoodpeckerGreen Woodpecker, 4 Swallow, 8 House MartinPied WagtailSpotted FlycatcherDunnockRobinBlackbirdSong ThrushMistle ThrushReed Warbler, 4 singing males and 1 female BlackcapChiffchaffWillow WarblerGoldcrestMarsh TitCoal TitGreat TitBlue TitLong-tailed TitNuthatchTreecreeperWrenJackdawRookCarrion CrowChaffinchGoldfinchGreenfinch and Bullfinch.