Pages

Tuesday 17 December 2013

Sunny Liden Lagoon

With the sun out and all my morning chores out the way, I thought I'd have a walk around Liden Lagoon. Mainly to see if there were any Little Egrets sunning themselves on the trees on the north island. Liden is very accessible and within a few feet of the car park at the end of Eastmere Road, you are straight onto the Lagoon path.

Initially there didn't appear to be anything on the water, not helped by the fact that I was staring straight into a low setting sun. However by the time I got round to the dam in the north-east corner it was quite evident that there was quite a bit going on. Bounding about in the trees was a Grey Squirrel and a Blackbird scolding it and as I passed the dam and started walking alongside the waters edge I came across 4 Goosander, a drake and 3 females which were feeding in the shallows. Having seen me they scuttled off and went behind the north island.

Grey Squirrel

Female Goosander making her escape

Further around where the pontoon joins the two islands there were 3 Tufted Duck, a duck and 2 drakes. Strangely enough they were the only Tufties on the lagoon. With the weather so nice I had expected to see at least one Little Egret, but instead there was just a Grey Heron under the trees where they normally perch.

One of the 2 Grey Herons around the North Island

Moving down to the grass bank on the southern tip of the Lagoon a dozen or so Moorhen scurried off the embankment in their haste to make sure they weren't cut off. In total I think there must have been getting on 20 birds on the water. Just before the grass bank a Red Kite sailed over and headed east over the A419. I tracked it in my binoculars before it disappeared into the distance.

One of 20+ moorhens at the Lagoon today

A distant shot of a Red Kite as it flew east

As I approached the metal fencing that overlooks the drainage outlet pipes, I could see more Goosander, with 5 females and 3 drakes tucked in under the trees on the north side of the south island. Eventually they came out into open water and I watched as the drakes, and certainly one in particular were harrowing one or two of the females, with one being forced to take off and land a small distance away.

Eight Goosander between the islands

Two pairs of Goosander

Two "Brownhead" Goosanders as the females are also known as.

The Canada Geese were all present and correct with 28 counted including LP the orange neck collared individual. I can't see him leaving as the the locals were down in good numbers feeding him, the Mallard, Swans and Coot. Feeding time also attracted at least 50 Black-headed Gulls and 2 Herring Gulls.

LP on his way to be fed

Adult Black-headed Gull in winter plumage

1st winter Black-headed Gull

Herring Gull in good voice

And again

Before flying off for some free offerings

Before I got back to the car park I could see a second Grey Heron by the boat on the North Island. He was definitely feeding and doing a fair bit of travelling up and down the shallows.

Another Grey Heron also around the North Island

 A Blackbird cackled and as I looked round a male was feeding on some Rowan berries in a back garden. Above him I could hear a few Goldfinches in the Alders and ended up with a count of 10 in the "charm".

Male Blackbird feeding on Rowan

Goldfinch

Goldfinch feeding on an Alder

Once back at car park a small flock of Blue Tits, Great Tits, Long-tailed Tits and a pair of Goldcrests passed by me and started their clockwise route of the lagoon.

One of many Blue Tits around the Lagoon today

Literally before you get back up onto the road something caught my eye. At first I thought it was a green ball and then I realised it was an apple. It was the only one hanging on for dear life on a very small Apple Tree. But can you spot it!

Can you spot the apple!

Definitely one still hanging on for dear life.

In total I recorded 30 species. 2 Grey Heron, 2 Mute Swans, 28 Canada Geese, Mallard, 3 Tufted Duck, 8 Goosander, 1 Red Kite, 20+ Moorhen, Coot, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, 2 Feral Pigeons, 1 Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, House Sparrows, Chaffinch and 15 Goldfinch. Also noted a Grey Squirrel