Pages

Tuesday 3 June 2014

A Muggy June Day

 With the weather looking pretty good, it was off to Mouldon Hill and a walk along the canal, along the River Ray, through Purton & Berriman's Wood and back past the lake to the car park. As soon as I stepped out of the car a Little Egret flew over my head, and was gone before I could get the camera out. Around me I could hear both Common and Lesser Whitethroats, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps, which was quite surprising as I would have thought by now that most male warblers would be busy feeding youngsters and not singing within their territories.

By the time I had walked to the canal, the sun was just starting to come out and it was feeling quite muggy. A drake Mallard was sitting on an old tyre and seem quite happy to stand there as I passed him by. The trees and bushes along this stretch were alive with warblers as well, with Common Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Garden Warblers and Chiffchaffs.

A drake Mallard takes time out on an old tyre

A Common Whitethroat

I've yet to walk along the canal, but as always I cut through the hedge on my left and followed the path along the scrubland up to the River Ray. As I did so a Jay shot across in front of me and disappeared into the bushes on the other side. Overhead a Buzzard caught my eye and above him were 2 Swifts. Along this stretch there were several Sedge Warblers, but sadly no Grasshopper Warblers heard. From the canal I could a few Reed Warblers and also another Willow Warbler.

Looking back towards Thamesdown Drive with the canal on the left.

By the time I had reached the River Ray the nettles were about chest height and it was quite obvious nobody had walked this part of the path before. As I waded through dozens of Banded Demoiselles took off, along with a few Common Blue Damselfly's. As I got to the bridge a pair of Mute Swans were making their way upstream with their 6 cygnets, stopping every now and then to feed in the calmer stretches of the river.

A male Banded Demoiselle

A female Banded Demoiselle

A family outing. Mute Swans battling there way upstream.

The undergrowth in this area was quite dense I came across all sorts of bugs including Scorpion FlyDrone FlyCardinal Beetle, Nursery Web SpidersFroghopperClay-coloured Weevil and a Sawfly (Arge Pagana).

A Clay-coloured Weevil

Cardinal Beetle

Drone Fly

Sawfly

A juvenile Dark Bush Cricket

Once back up onto the canal path there were more Sedge Warblers flying about, plus a pair of Reed Buntings, the latter I've not seen along here before. In the hedgerows there more bugs with Soldier BeetlesGreen Nettle WeevilsGreen Dock BeetlesLacewings (Chrysopa perla) and a Red-and-black Froghopper.


Green Nettle Weevils

Red-and-black Froghopper

Green Dock Beetle

A Lacewing - Chrysopa perla

As I neared the end of the canal I took a look back and was amazed that all you see was wall to vegetation. At first glance you be forgiven to think that the canal didn't exist and that there was actually a tow path running down its length.

The canal stops here!

Leaving the canal behind I followed the course of the River Ray up as far as the Lake. There is a quite a bend in the river at this point and looking into the water here I could see several small Chub in a tight shoal. Every now and then one would break away and take something off the surface before rejoining the "pack". 

Once I arrived at the lake I turned left and made my way back towards the river. Once again the nettles here are chest height and as I waded through these I sent up dozens and dozens of Banded Demoiselles. It would have made for a great video, but as soon as they were airborne, they were back down again as quick as they were up. They were obviously not in the mood for flying!

About a quarter of the way around the lake I crossed over the bridge and made my way to Purton & Berriman's Wood. There were a few Speckled Wood here and I came across 2 Green-veined Whites. Once again though, once I reached the river back came the Banded Demoiselles. This is obviously the time of year for them. A quick shrill and a Kingfisher made its way downstream and as it did so a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over the river.

Speckled  Wood

The wood walk is a circular walk and as I completed it, I came out next to the bridge. The lake ahead was very busy and there has definitely been an increase in Mallards with at least 60 birds counted. In amongst them were 2 ducklings following mum and trying to keep out of the way of the Canada Geese. One of the geese I recognised as being orange neck collared NL. This is a female that a few months ago left the pool when she was overpowered by a male bird. Unfortunately she still looks as if she's at risk as she seemed to be determined to swim away from 3 birds that were pursuing her. Hopefully she can find peace somewhere!

Mum with 2 ducklings

The female Canada Goose

Birds recorded: 1 Great Crested Grebe, 1 Little Egret, 9 Mute Swan (4 adults and 6 cygnets), 10 Canada Goose, 60+ Mallard, 1 Buzzard, Coot, 1 Black-headed Gull, 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 2 Swift, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Skylark, 3 House Martin, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, 3 Reed Warbler, 7+ Sedge Warbler, 4+ Garden Warbler, 13+ Common Whitethroat, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, 13+ Blackcap, 15+ Chiffchaff, 5 Willow Warbler, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, 1 Jay, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Bullfinch and a pair of Reed Bunting.

Butterflies and moths recorded: 4 Speckled Woods and 2 Green-veined White butterflies. 2  Nettle-tap moths.

Damselflies: 50+ Banded Demoiselles and 10+ Common Blue Damselflies

Other invertebrae: Scorpion Fly, Drone Fly, Cardinal Beetle, Soldier Beetle, Green Nettle Weevil, Green Dock Beetle, Nursery Web Spiders, Lacewing (Chrysopa perla), Red-and-black Froghopper, Clay-coloured Weevil and a Sawfly (Arge Pagana).