Pages

Wednesday 15 October 2014

Finches Galore

Its amazing where the time goes, the last time I sat down to add anything to my Blog was back in September. But with the news that hundreds of Redwing had passed over our heads last night, it seemed like an excellent idea to get out of the house for an hour and visit Folly Farm.

But what an anti-climax, there wasn't a single one to be found, let alone heard. All I can say is that the south coast must heaving with them. When Nigel Pleass contacted me last night at around 9:11pm to let me know that the skies above were filled with calling Redwing, I also went outside and heard them, on and off right up until midnight. In amongst them were Song Thrushes calling and I even had a Fieldfare.

What I did find was 5 Blackbirds and 2 Song Thrushes in the copse. However in the stubble fields there were plenty of finches with really good numbers of Linnets, split into two flocks of 80+ and 40+ with latter having a few Corn Bunting in amongst them. A large flock of Skylarks and Meadow Pipit took off as I arrived and headed off towards Lower Upham Farm.

Many Linnets in the fields

And another flock

Linnets in flight

Just a few of the 150+ Linnet at Folly Farm

An undercarriage shot

The second flock of Linnets with a few Corn Bunting in amongst them.

Away from the fields and in the hedgerows were 3 Chiffchaffs with one singing and as I started my walk down the track a Great Spotted Woodpecker landed in a dead tree 50 meters in front of me, before flying off to the base of Liddington Hill. The ivy is now out in flower and there were a lot of bees and wasps feeding off it, plus a Red Admiral. Across the field a Kestrel sat in a tree and another was hovering above Liddington Hill.

One of two Kestrel seen here today

One of two female Pheasants in the copse

Birds Recorded: 2 Kestrel, 2 Pheasant, 7 Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 20+ Skylark, 4 Swallow, 30+ Meadow Pipit, 4 Dunnock, 2 Robin, 5 Blackbird, 2 Song Thrush, 3 Chiffchaff (1 singing), 12+ Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Chaffinch, 150+ Linnet, Goldfinch, 5 Corn Bunting and 2 Yellowhammer. Also lots of wasps sp., bees sp. and a Red Admiral.

I left Folly Farm and headed off to Foxhill where I was greeted by a huge flock of 300+ finches, most looked like Linnet, but they flew out of sight before I could see what else was in amongst them. A Red Kite came into view and was trying to get away from 3 Rooks that continually mobbed it. Down by the mast a Chiffchaff was calling and there was a tit flock moving through the hedgerow.

A Red Kite is helped along its way by 3 Rooks.

Foxhill: 1 Red Kite, 1 Kestrel, 6 Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Meadow Pipit, 1 Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Rook, Chaffinch, 300+ Linnet and Goldfinch.