Pages

Sunday 8 February 2015

Little Egret v Perch

Well you couldn't ask for a better morning and with the sun out and boots on, it was off to Nythe Pool for my WeBS count. As soon as I arrived the first bird I could see was a Little Egret feeding in amongst the flattened reed bed. And by the looks of it he was doing very well, catching small fish with his dagger shaped bill. As I walked around to the opposite bank for a better view, he plunged his whole head under the water and came up with a decent sized Perch, which after a few turns was dispatched straight down his gullet. Then it was a quick wash and up into the tree for a bit of a sun bathe.

The Pool with a Little Egret fishing in the reed bed in the far distance.

Slowly and carefully the Little Egret moves into the reed bed...............

........something is spotted.......

.........and with lightening reactions its a quick dart under the water........

.........and the prize a decent sized Perch.......

...........which after a few turns........

..........is finally dispatched...........

..........and then its into the water.........

..............for a beak wash.............

.......before retiring to the trees for a rest in the sun.

Whilst he rested in the tree high up above, I carried on with my WeBS count, a Moorhen called to my left and came out of the reeds into the water and as it did so it's mate called to my right, where the pool flows out into the Dorcan Stream. So that was 1 Little Egret and a pair of Moorhen. A quick scan across the water and I picked out the drake Mallard. Unfortunately no female, which was very disappointing. On my last visit here (26 Jan) and there were 9 Mallard (the resident pair, plus 4 drakes & 3 ducks). I've got a feeling the resident female has eloped!

The lonely drake Mallard.

A Kingfisher called out from above the pool and I'm guessing saw me and headed back towards Shaftesbury Lake. Other birds of interest were singles of Goldcrest and Great Spotted Woodpecker. Three Collared Doves were calling from around the pool, and high up in the bare branches there were good numbers of Wood Pigeon.

Birds Recorded: 1 Little Egret, 1 drake Mallard, 2 Moorhen, 1 Black-headed Gull, 3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 12+ Wood Pigeon, 3 Collared Dove, 1 Kingfisher, Great Spotted Woodpecker, several Dunnock, Robin, 6+ Blackbird, 1 Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, 3 Carrion Crow and House Sparrow.