Pages

Wednesday 3 June 2015

How Things Change

I managed a quick walk around Nythe Pool this lunchtime and what a difference it was from my last visit here in April. Where there was once rubbish as far as the eye could see, was replaced by a huge covering of Yellow Iris. Such a shame that when it all dies back all that rubbish will be exposed again.

April

June

Nythe Pool in the distance

Plenty of wildlife about with several juvenile Blue Tits calling from the hedges and at least 2 male Blackcaps singing. Along the grass verges were a few Cardinal Beetles and in the hedgerow along Dorcan Brook there were both Green Shieldbug and Dock Leaf Bugs.

Excellent hedgerow for bugs.

Cardinal Beetle

And another.

Also this Green Shieldbug

And a couple of Dock Leaf Bugs

A very active bug that didn't like being photographed, but always returned to the sunny spot on the leaf when I backed away.
As the water runs out at the bottom of the pool I found a single female Banded Demoiselle in the Hawthorn bush, but interestingly I didn't see any along the brook.

A very dainty damselfly

As I was watching the damselfly a familiar call came from behind me and on investigation I came across a male Pheasant that has taken residence in the wood.

The Nythe Pheasant

Very secretive hence the poor image quality as I tried to photograph him through the dense foliage. I do miss manual focus!
A Buzzard passed overhead being mobbed by a crow. Unfortunately it happened so quick I didn't get a chance to change the exposure settings. The resulting image is a bit different to say the least.

An interesting silhouette of the Buzzard and crow.

And with the colour removed, hmm.

Birds Recorded: a single female Mallard, 1 Buzzard, 1 Pheasant, Wood Pigeon, 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff singing, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow and Chaffinch.

Also seen a Green-veined White butterfly, a single female Banded Demoiselle, several Cardinal Beetles, a Green Shieldbug and 2 Dock Leaf Bugs.