Pages

Wednesday 10 February 2016

Perfect Timing

With storm Imogen long gone and just a gentle breeze over Wiltshire it was off to Barbury Castle to see what was about. It look like I was in luck as well; as I passed through Overtown so the clouds overhead started to break up and the sun came out. For me that's a first, normally it's the other way round.

Before I turned off onto the Ridgeway track I had my first Stock Dove of the year sitting on a telegraph pole. An easy tick! The track was bumpy as ever and those potholes are getting bigger each time I visit, and of course they were all full of water. However with a bit of care I eventually made it to "Finch Corner". 

At first it was fairly quiet albeit for a few Blue Tits, a Dunnock and a Wren around the gate, and then very slowly a few Chaffinches appeared on the outermost branches alongside the footpath heading north. For once there wasn't any grain on the ground, but someone had kindly placed some on top of the gate posts and it was here that a few of the Blue Tits and Chaffinches were coming to feed.

As I turned to get my camera off the back seat of the car I caught a glimpse of a Red-legged Partridge, limping across the track. Not sure how he hurt his leg, but hopefully he will recover. Still another tick, so a really good start.

Soon there were many Chaffinches coming to the posts and then the Bramblings decided to join in. In total I counted 25 Brambling, but that number could well have been more, as the ones I counted were on the edge of the hedgerow. Also about were a few Greenfinches and a very aggressive female/juvenile bird, which I think was almost likely to be a 1st winter male as there was just a hint of green coming through on his wings. It mattered not whether it was Brambling, Chaffinch, Blue Tit or one of its own, this individual was determined that these freebie seeds were his and his alone.

And then, what I was waiting for, Tree Sparrows. I saw one and heard at least two more, but that was the best I got. One as I say showed itself very briefly and like the others was happy to sit it out somewhere in the middle of the copse. Another Day!

In amongst the finches were a few Yellowhammers and later as I drove further up the track I came across 5 more, plus a Buzzard sitting on the post close to the pool.

As I drove back up towards RAF Wroughton, lo and behold there was a RABBIT. Not that I get really excited about bunnies, but this is the first one I've seen this year and its the first one recorded within a ten mile radius of Swindon. Where have they been!  Further up the road I came across 70+ Fieldfare in the tall trees, but every time I stopped for a look, they took off and carried on to the next set off trees. I wasn't playing this silly game so I drove off and left them to it.

A few images and videos from today:


A great comparison between a male Brambling and a male Chaffinch


See how this Greenfinch drives off the Brambling. Chaffinch and Blue Tit

A female Chaffinch

and the more brightly coloured male.

A great comparison between a male Chaffinch (foreground) and a male Brambling

I'm thinking this is a 1st winter male Greenfinch.........

.....and a very aggressive one at that, as this Chaffinch found out

A male Brambling

And more aggression between 2 Brambling, whilst a Blue Tit gets in quick.

A female Brambling

Two of around 25 Brambling sit it out on the branches.

The rear of a Brambling....

and a peak from the owner.

Beautiful markings

and another male sits bolt upright.

A Blue Tit keeps a wary eye out

And another soaks up the winter sun.

One of a few Yellowhammer that were with the finches.

A Common Buzzard on his favourite perch.

Well it was until I came along.

Birds Recorded: 1 Buzzard, 4 Pheasant, 1 Red-legged Partridge, 1 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 1 Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, 2 Dunnock, 1 Robin, 1 Blackbird, 60+ Fieldfare, 1 Mistle Thrush, 2 Great Tit, 6 Blue Tit, 2 Wren, 1 Magpie, 50+ Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 200+ Starling, 3 Tree Sparrow, 25 Brambling, 15 Chaffinch, 5 Greenfinch, 8 Yellowhammer. Also my first Rabbit of the year