Pages

Saturday 2 March 2013

Blue Day

The weather forecast was looking good for the afternoon, so it seemed too good an opportunity to have a go at some Pike Fishing at Stanton Lake.  In fact the weather was even better than they predicted, as the clouds dispersed leaving a beautiful blue sky and warm Spring sun.  Perfect.

Stanton Lake in the Spring sun

Pike fishing can be quite drawn out if they're not biting and today was no exception.  It was a good 3 hours before I had a run and lo and behold I missed it. At least they were biting, however it was another hour before I had another run, but this time I landed it a beautiful 10lb Pike. A quick photo, hooks out, weighed and back into the water.

10lb Pike on a float fished Sardine

In between all the excitement the bird watching was welcome break, with Black-headed Gulls coming in from all sides throughout the afternoon.  Several flocks came in to bathe with a total of around 100+ by mid afternoon.

Black-headed Gull having a scratch in mid-air

Other birds of note through the day were a pair of Buzzards in a courtship display, a fly-by Raven, my first Kingfisher of the year (I just couldn't get the camera out quick enough to photograph it, as it landed on the tree to the side of me). Others were a female Sparrowhawk, which flew straight at me as I was sitting low in the reeds.  Another missed photo!!  I also had Siskins, Bullfinch and a Cormorant which certainly gave a range of different species around a lake.  The finale though was a Tawny Owl calling as I was packing up.

Female Mallard in flight

Courting Buzzards

Mute Swan

Coot chasing off another male

Birds recorded with some numbers seen:
1 Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Mute Swan, 9 (7 drakes) Mallard, 3 Buzzard, 1 female Sparrowhawk, 1 Pheasant, 4 Moorhen, 5 Coot, 100+ Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, 1 Feral Pigeon, 50+ Woodpigeon, 3 Collared Dove, 1 Tawny Owl, 1 Kingfisher,  2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 1 Raven, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Wren, Dunnock, 1 Goldcrest, Robin, Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tits, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch and Siskin (Total of 36 Species Recorded)