Pages

Sunday 2 June 2013

National Bio Garden Blitz - Day 2

Well another glorious day and the first bit of wildlife I came across in the back garden was a Holly Blue butterfly. What a good start. As I turned into the back garden a juvenile House Sparrow was on the feeder and continued feeding despite my presence.

Juvenile House Sparrow

Around the pond were a few Hoverflies and a fly called a Myathropa Florae. This particular species is a wasp mimic.


Hoverfly sp.


Myathropa Florae

On the rose bush a small wasp landed and was identified later as a Tenthredo Livida, which I believe is a member of the Sawfly family.


 Tenthredo Livida

Not too many today, I think the majority were seen yesterday. Perhaps if there had been a few more flowers in bloom then who knows what we might have found. There's always next year.