Pages

Sunday 30 June 2013

Scary Moment

A quite afternoon in the back garden yesterday, nearly turned into a scary moment. With the sun out and the temperature rising, it was great to chill out in a deckchair and watch the world go by.  For most of the afternoon the juvenile House Sparrows, were for a change, outnumbering the juvenile Starlings on the feeders. The large flock of 50 plus birds seem to have moved off.


Adult and juvenile House Sparrow (Martin Adlam)


Overhead a few Lesser Black-backed Gulls drifted over and seemed to be ignored by the Carrion Crows.  Where the two juveniles have gone I'm not sure, as their is only one adult present in the neighbourhood. I have a feeling the youngsters fledged too early and the one that landed in the Leylandii may well have been predated. One did seem stronger and was quite high up in the Birch Tree.

Lesser Black-backed Gull (Martin Adlam)

The only time the Carrion Crow threw his weight around was when a Homing Pigeon or a Racing Pigeon landed on the neighbours roof. Whatever it was, it did seem odd that it didn't bear any rings on its legs. After walking around the roof top for a few minutes the Carrion Crow had enough of this and chased it off.

Homing or Racing Pigeon? (Martin Adlam)

In the garden a Soldier Fly (chloromyia formosa )was eventually identified as thus. It was on a rose leaf and it took me ages to identify it. I had it down as Cuckoo Wasp or a Sawfly, before the good old Collins Complete British Insect book came to the rescue.

Soldier Fly chloromyia formosa (Martin Adlam)

What a busy afternoon this was turning out to be and as I watched a pair of Swifts swirling above my head I could hear the drone of the local skydivers aircraft taking off from Redlands Airfield. As it gained altitude I could hear the engines cut and one after the other, seven "brave souls" jumped out. 

Swift (Martin Adlam)


Swift (Martin Adlam)

As the chutes deployed I was aware that the parachute of one of the skydivers was streaming out above him. I watched in horror as he dropped rapidly in front of my eyes. And then my heart was in my mouth when both he and his chute parted company.  For the second time in his jump, this chap was in free fall again and heading towards the ground at a rapid rate. However it was a great relief to see another chute, albeit smaller, pop out above him. I still didn't think he was out of the woods, as he seemed to be coming back down to earth, a lot quicker than you would want to. As he disappeared behind the roof tops I can only hope he had a safe landing. It didn't really allay my fears when coincidentally I could hear the sirens of Ambulances in the background. I'm sure he landed ok.

I was behind you.... (Martin Adlam)


Chute drifting away (Martin Adlam)


Unmanned chute (Martin Adlam)


Spare deployed (Martin Adlam)


Fully open (Martin Adlam)


Nearly in. At speed I hasten to add... (Martin Adlam)

After about 20 minutes the aircraft was back up again and another group of daring skydivers were jumping out again. I don't think they would have done that if he hadn't landed safely. A quick call to Redlands Airfield and I was glad to hear that all was well and he had landed safely. However I don't think you would catch me jumping out of a serviceable plane.