Pages

Friday 12 July 2013

A bit of a panic

There I was all set for a pleasant walk around the Aldbourne area, when having only walked for about a mile I suddenly realised I was missing my wallet from my back pocket. So having only mustered a handful of birds and butterflies it was back to Nythe to check in the house. It was a real shame cause' there on the kitchen work surface was the wretched thing. I think it must have been one of the quickest walks I've ever attempted, but the main thing I hadn't lost it and I did at least record Swift, House Martin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Robin, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blackcap, Dunnock, Linnet, Corn Bunting and Magpie. On the butterfly front it was just 1 Small Tortoiseshell and 2 Ringlets.

Small Tortoiseshell

With no time to go back and carry on my walk it was a bit of back garden bug hunt. A female Common Damselfly was a pleasant surprise as it rested on a Yellow Flag leaf. Other creatures in the garden were a fly-by Small Tortoiseshell, a few Green Bottle Flies and Bees. There were a few unidentified insects and I've added them below. One in particular was a grab shot hence the poor quality but it was bee like and had a bright orange colouration on the side and under the abdomen.

Female Common Damselfly

Green Bottle Fly

Possible Digger Wasp - crossocerus quadrimaculatus
Re-identified as a syritta pipiens (hoverfly)
Thank you to Peter Brash for the identification.

 
Is this a Heriades truncorum? See footnote below.

Possible Honeybee

Hoverfly - Helophilus pendulus

 Overhead a Sparrowhawk headed south and a pair of Blackbirds were very agitated with something.

Female Blackbird

Footnote: Having sifted through a few books and the internet the closest match I could find to the mystery bee above is a Heriades truncorum. The website I used to find it was bwars.com but as its only found in a few places in the south-east I'm not that convinced. More research.....