Pages

Thursday 11 July 2013

Busy times

I make no apologies for the lack of posts. Even though I'm presently unemployed, I have been that busy, that finding just a few minutes to write something has been difficult to say the least. However its definitely time to catch up or Blogger.com will stop my account for lack of posts.

The fine weather has seen many emails posted in for the Swindon Birds and Wildlife Blog and it has been fantastic to read the wonderful wildlife reports and the many excellent images that have been sent in. Even though I've not been able to get out as much as I had hoped, I'm fortunate that I have a back garden that seems to be on the main thoroughfare for the local raptors. And in the past week or so there have been some evening passage of Hobbies and Sparrowhawks. A Red Kite was a bit of a surprise though it was in the distance.

Hobby

Hobby

Swift

Also from the back garden the Carrion Crows have been busy feeding one of the two juveniles and as the weather turned hot, the juvenile was seen panting for air to cool down.

Adult Carrion Crow

Juvenile Carrion Crow panting in the heat

Last Friday I managed a fishing trip to Lawns Pools, I had a few small silver fish, but to be honest it was that hot it was more interesting to watch the damselflies with Banded Demoiselle, Large Red Damselfly, Common Blue Damselfly and Red-eyed Damselfly flitting around me. And of course a Robin!

Large Red Damselfly

Large Red Damselfly

I also had a wonderful day out to the Guildhall in Salisbury on Tuesday with my future father-in-law to celebrate his birthday and also to view my Grandfathers VC which is on public display. It was a beautiful day and on the way down there from Swindon we saw a good number of Red Kite.

My Grandfathers portrait

His medals in the Silver Room

Wednesday was first day out for a good walk and I think the 3 hours I walked over the Ridgeway was well worth it. A count of what I saw can be seen on the SBaW Blog dated 10 Jul 13.

Part of the Ridgeway Circular path

Skylark