Pages

Sunday 16 February 2014

I'm Back, It's Been Awhile But I'm Back!

I don't know where the time has gone, it's the 16 Feb and this is my first Blog of the year. So Happy New Year everyone. It's not good, so hopefully I can be a bit more dedicated than of late.

Today I did my version of the Ridgeway Circular, starting off at Folly Farm and walking anticlockwise past the Three Trees Farm Shop, along the old railway track and crossing over the main road at Chiseldon Firs. From there it was up the track past Lower Upham Farm to the crossroads on the Ridgeway. It was left here towards Liddington Hill and just before I got there, I dropped down to the small copse just east of Folly Farm and then back up to the car.

My version of the Ridgeway circular

Folly Farm - Three Trees Farm Shop (11:40am - 12:00pm)

I parked the car by the Folly Farm entrance and started to walk down the hill in the direction of the Three Trees Farm Shop at Chiseldon. Quite surprisingly it was very quiet with just the sound of two Skylarks singing above me. In the distance I could hear Golden Plover but couldn't see them, but I had a feeling I might see them once I was up the Ridge in a couple of hours.

At the Ridgeway Road I turned left towards Chiseldon. As I was turning I realised someone had stuck a rather appropriate cow on top of the Folly Farm stone. But what a lot of people wouldn't realise was, it was sitting on a sledge. Is someone trying to tell us something, the cow is a good 5ft up!

Folly Farm and a cow on sledge!

Before I got to the busy main A346 (Swindon to Marlborough Road) a Buzzard passed over head and in the fields there were Carrion Crows, Rooks and a few Jackdaws. As I approached the junction  there were quite a few House Sparrows and a Robin in the hedgerow.

Three Trees Farm Shop - Chiseldon Firs (12:00pm - 1:15pm)

Before I set off down the old railway track, I took a look at the field opposite the Farm Shop entrance. I've called it the Chiseldon Mudflats, because most of the year there is a small patch of water in the corner close to the road. (See Blog Entry from last year). However I don't have a lens wide enough to cover the large expanse of water that is there this year. If it gets any bigger it will be joining Coate Water.

Unfortunately I couldn't get in anywhere close enough to take a photo of it, but it will be interesting to see what visitors it will draw in this Spring. Mind you having just emailed Malcolm Royal about this, his local patch, he was saying that apart from a few gulls there hasn't been much else on there, and as he rightly pointed out there are dozens of flooded fields all the way to Marlborough, so you would be lucky to see anything "special" dropping in when there are so many other fields to visit. Lets hope the other's drain off quicker.

Up until this time poor old Benji had been on his lead, so once we were heading off down the track, off came the lead and freedom was his. I now know why I've walked this during the week. It was heaving with walkers, joggers, dog walkers, cyclists and horse riders. So back went the lead onto his collar. Sorry pup!

It must be the time of year, but along with everyone else it was also surprisingly busy with bird life. In the field on my right there was a lone Fieldfare feeding alongside 4 Blackbirds, on a small tree on the other side of the field sat a Buzzard and all along the track there were Robins and male Chaffinches singing. There were also a few Dunnock, Blue Tits, Great Tits, a pair of Long-tailed Tits, Wrens and Greenfinch.

A Song Thrush burst into song half-way down the track and as I looked across the main road, towards Folly Farm, a huge flock of finches, 100 strong landed in a field.

Also about were a pair of Linnets, a Pied Wagtail and in the surrounding fields Rooks, Carrion Crows, Jackdaws, Wood Pigeon and a Skylark singing overhead. The call of a Corn Bunting caught my attention, and sat in the top branches of an Ash tree were two birds. A quick shuffle around to avoid the branches and I managed a couple of photographs before they flew off.

Corn Bunting

Corn Bunting

At the Firs there were a few Blackbirds about and overhead a pair of Yellowhammers and a Buzzard.

Buzzard


Chiseldon Firs to the Ridgeway via Lower Upham Farm (12:40pm - 12:15pm)

Once across the busy Marlborough road it was up the single track road to Lower Upham Farm. As I was watching the Buzzard move away a Red Kite appeared overhead and headed into the sun.

From The Firs looking towards Lower Upham Farm and the Ridgeway

In the hedgerows up to the farm were a male Chaffinches singing, Great Tits scolding me a few Goldfinches. A car came up behind me so I stepped into a gap in the hedge and a looking up the field revealed 6 Roe Deer heading uphill.

Roe Deer

The weather today was really pleasant with wall to wall blue sky, but every now and then a blast of wind came through just to let you know it was still winter. Looking at the windsock just showed you how strong some of these gusts were.

Gusty conditions

Around the farm were most of the birds you would have expected, with Wood PigeonDunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Goldfinch and Greenfinch.

Above the farm on the long, muddy and steep track there were a couple of Pheasants and overhead a Kestrel was being chased off by a Carrion Crow. To my left a pair of Lesser Black-backed Gulls followed the course of the Ridgeway before disappearing into the sun.

Up the muddy slope

The view looking towards The Firs (centre of frame)

Looking down the slope


The Ridgeway - Folly Farm (1:15pm - 2:45pm)

At the crossroads on the Ridgeway I decided to go straight on to the top of the hill. It's only a few yards, but you do get a chance to see if there's anything on the other side of the Ridgeway. In this case nothing, apart from a very muddy Benji!!

A very muddy dog!

So it was an about turn, back down the track and a right turn at the sign post.

Straight on is down to Lower Upham Farm, right takes you to Liddington Hill

Once on the Ridgeway you could see for miles, I don't think I've ever seen it so clear. as I approached the Beech wood on the right I could see straight away that the storms of late had taken its toll on two Beech Trees. As one had toppled, so the one behind it was uprooted as well.

Beech Trees uprooted

Unfortunately it wasn't just the trees that were uprooted, as out of the blue a hunting dog came running out of the wood, grabbed poor Benji around the neck, and tried tossing him around like a toy. Fortunately for Benji he's put on a bit of weight since the last time he did this walk and at 9kg he stood his ground. But oh did he cry as this dog bit into his neck.

I managed to get the dog off and well I could go on, but needless to say I wasn't too happy when the owner appeared from within the wood with another one. Let's just say we had a difference of opinion. Well you know what they say that owners look like their dogs. Well in this case the owner didn't look like her dog, but her mannerisms did. Which is why I wasn't surprised when I didn't get an apology. Thank goodness they went the other way.

So after that disappointing and totally unnecessary part of our walk, we ventured on. Just past the woods I could hear the Golden Plover and in the distance there were about 40 birds circling above the fields close to Liddington Warren. What a shame they weren't a bit closer.

Overhead there were Linnets, Goldfinches, Chaffinches and a couple of Skylarks. In the distance I could make out another Buzzard, a Red Kite and a Hang Glider above Liddington Hill. It was quite impressive to watch as the pilot held her position above the Ridgeway using the updraught. Eventually she dropped to the ground and landed on the slope.

Motionless

As I dropped down off the Ridgeway onto the path that leads you to Folly Farm Copse, I could see one of the six Roe Deer in the field on its own. In the same field there were also a few Rabbits with one adult with young at the entrance to its burrow.

Adult Rabbit with 4 young at the burrow

Dropping back down the hill you leave the Ridgeway behind and eventually end up at the copse just east of Folly Farm. Here I came across 10+ Yellowhammers, which surprised me and them, which resulted in them flying to the other side of the copse. Though I did I get one snap shot before they all disappeared.

Looking back up to the Ridgeway

Lime fields

Yellowhammer

Before I left the copse and made my way up to the car a Red Kite came low over my head and headed off towards the Hang Glider that had just taken off from the slope.

Red Kite

Red Kite

Take off

Leaving the copse behind me I walked back up the small track which was unbelievably muddy and to my surprise frozen in places. Was it really that cold last night!

Ice

At the car just as we were sorting ourselves out a huge flock of 400+ Starlings swarmed across the fields and landed in the copse to the west. There may well have been more than this, as quite a few were below the lip of the hill as I was looking across.

Just a small section of the huge flock of Starlings

So at long last a good walk, apart from the dog incident and a chance to keep the Blog going. Hopefully it won't be such a long wait until the next entry.

Birds Recorded: 3 Red Kite, 3 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, 2 Pheasant, 2 Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Skylark, Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 1 Fieldfare, Song Thrush, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 1 Raven, 400+ Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Corn Bunting and 15 Yellowhammer.

Mammals Recorded: Also 6 Roe Deer and several Rabbits including 1 adult and 4 young.


Note I later found out that these two dogs, one of which attacked Benji were Basenjis. They are African Bush dogs, which on occasion can be aggressive with other dogs as they have a terrier like mentality. I'm just glad I didn't have my hands anywhere near them. They look cute but don't be fooled!