Pages

Tuesday 25 March 2014

A Break in the Weather

Well the weatherman got it right this morning and the brief break in the wet weather that he forecast, meant I got a good hour in at Liden Lagoon, before the drizzle set in. The Lagoon was like a mill pool when I arrived without a ripple to be seen. Mind you that was probably due to the low numbers of geese and other wildfowl on the water. All the Canada Geese that I recorded were all paired up and many when sitting on nests on the islands. Normally there are about 22 Canada Geese, but today I only counted 10. In the distance I could see the female Great Crested Grebe was still on the nest and the male in close attendance.

As I walked around the Lagoon I could see that a drake Tufted Duck had gone and left a pair. It was only when I walked around the bottom island that I could see that he hadn't left at all, and that he had found a mate. So there are two pairs of "Tufties" on the Lagoon. While I was looking along the banks, a pair of ducks came out from under an overhanging branch and as they turned broadside I could see that they were indeed a pair of Gadwalls, which was a pleasant surprise. It was certainly an adult female, but the drake appeared to be going through a moult. I shall have to read up on this, but could this be a first summer drake. Not sure!

A pair of Gadwall

Gadwall - drake

It was good to hear a few Chiffchaffs singing and in the end there were 3 individual birds. A single note from one of the trees behind the observation post revealed a single Redpoll feeding on catkins.

Chiffchaff

Redpoll

Redpoll

As I walked down the slope 11 large gulls came in to bath made up of 5 adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls and 5 Herring Gulls (3 adults, 2nd winter, 3rd winter). As I watched them, so the drizzle became really intense so it was back to the car before I got soaked.

Adult Herring Gull with the Gadwalls in the background

A Coot takes off behind a pair of adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls

Blackbird - male

One of many Wrens around the Lagoon this morning

A Bumblebee

Bird species recorded: 1 pair Great Crested Grebe, 1 pair Mute Swan, 10 Canada Goose, Mallard, 1 pair Gadwall, 2 pairs Tufted Duck, 9 Moorhen, 7 Coot, 5 Herring Gulls, 6 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Wood Pigeon, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 3 Chiffchaff, 2 Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, lots of Wrens, Carrion Crow, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, 1 Redpoll and 3 Goldfinch.

Insects: 1 Bumblebee

Today's Photos Here