Pages

Sunday 4 May 2014

A Morning on the Downs

With the sun out it was great a great opportunity to revisit Folly Farm and do my mini walk up to Liddington Castle. I say mini, its probably only a few miles but it took me a good 3 hours. There was so much to see.

In the fields to my right there was Hare and down at the copse I found a female Wheatear, by the chalk outcrop. She was still there when I came back that way. A little further on up the track I came across another misplaced Sedge Warbler. I say another, a few days ago I came across one in Stratton Wood. They are obviously moving through.

One of three Hares in the field next to Folly Farm

A female Wheatear

A female Wheatear

Sedge Warbler singing within the thicket

The hedgerow was full of Common Whitethroat singing away and I even managed a female. There weren't that Corn Bunting, but there were good numbers of Yellowhammer. As I climbed up to the Ridgeway I could see 2 more Hares in the field and as I reached the main track 15 Linnets flew over my head. Aloud croak from behind me revealed a Raven heading down towards Lower Upham Farm.

A female Common Whitethroat

Raven

All along the Ridgeway was the sound of Skylarks singing, if I said I heard and saw 6, you could probably double that. What was good to see is that the local farmers have cut away sections in the Wheat Fields for the Skylarks to breed in. Judging by the numbers I heard and saw, I think its definitely paying off.

Up on the Ridgeway looking north

A Red Kite came across the ridge and was immediately mobbed by a Carrion Crow and there were at least 5 Buzzards in the thermals above me.  A few Swallows passed over in small parties and as the temperature started to rise so did the number of St Mark's Flies. There were hundreds of them out. They weren't alone as I came across Peacock Butterflies, Small Tortoiseshells and a few Green-veined Whites.

A Small Tortoiseshell

Coate Water as seen from Liddington Castle

A Carrion Crow mobs a Red Kite

Once I reached the castle grounds it was back down the slope to Whitethroat country. They certainly love it along this stretch, with its scattering of Hawthorns and set-a-sides in the field close by. A Kestrel hovered over the field for a short time and pounced on something. It stayed down for ages, before taking off and heading towards Folly Farm.

The hedgerow below Liddington Hill good for Whitethroats

And Yellowhammers

Goldfinch

I eventually ended up back at the copse and the Sedge Warbler was still singing away and the female Wheatear was still in the field.

The female Wheatear in the field here next to the copse

The path back up to the car was full of insects and came across, a Spotted Cranefly, a beautiful looking wasp, which I will have to look up, several 7-spot Ladybirds, a Green Shield Bug, and another bug that goes by the name Latin name of Notostira elongata. The one that got away was a strange moth-like insect with red and black wings. It wasn't a Cinnabar or Burnet, being quite a lot smaller. I found it twice and just missed out on getting a photo. And then the third time I nearly stood on it, not realising it was there and it flew off over the barbed wire fence. I guess I shall have to go back!!

A Spotted Cranefly 

Brimstone

7-Spot Ladybird and Red Ants

A Common Bee Wasp - Nomada ruficornis

Common Nettle-tap moth, Anthophila fabriciana

Notostira elongata

Spider sp.

Green Shield Bug

Birds Recorded were: 2 Red Kite, 5 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, Pheasant, Wood Pigeon, 12+ Skylark, 8 Swallows, 2 Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, Robin, 1 female Wheatear, Blackbird, 1 Sedge Warbler, 11 Common Whitethroat, 1 Willow Warbler, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 1 Raven, Chaffinch, 15 Linnet, Goldfinch, Corn Bunting and Yellowhammer.

Mammals recorded: 3 Hares and 1 Rabbit

Butterflies: 10 Peacocks, 13 Green-veined Whites, 12 Small Tortoiseshells, 1 Brimstone and 2 Orange-tips

Other Insects recorded: St Mark's Flies, lots of Bumblebees, Spotted Cranefly, 7-Spot Ladybird, Green Shield Bug, Notostira elongataCommon Bee Wasp - Nomada ruficornis, Common Nettle-tap moth (Anthophila fabriciana) and a 1 moth sp.

Today's Photos Here