Pages

Wednesday 14 May 2014

Run Rabbit Run

A change of plan, I was thinking of walking the Ridgeway, but decided to visit Nightingale Wood instead. I am so glad I did as the first person I met as I left the car park was Nigel Sluman. Nige is one of the Swindon Birds and Wildlife Blog contributors and sends in many moth sightings from his moth traps. It's nice that I'm slowly meeting up with all the Blogs contributors and Nige also gave me a heads up on a Roe Deer that was down at the Hide. And sure enough as I opened the flap slowly to the front of the Hide, there was the Roe Deer right in front of me feeding. Cheers Nige.

Roe Deer

I watched it quietly until it moved off into the undergrowth to my left. Leaving the Hide I headed off towards the river and around the pools. En route there were many butterflies, mainly Green-veined Whites with several pairs of Orange-tips. However there were very few Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells, which surprised me.

Orange-tip

On the paths after the nights dew were many slugs mainly Black and a few Reds. One Black Slug was in the way of a bug a Notostira elongata and couldn't be bothered to go round it, so it went over the top of it instead.

Notostira elongata takes the short route

Unimpressed the Black Slug slowly slithers along

My trail was the same as before, which was to head off to the River Cole via Marston Brook. From the River it was around the big pool and back into the main wood. En route there was a Great Spotted Woodpecker making its way up a tree trunk and as I neared the large pool I was greeted with a pair of Beautiful Demoiselles. The male was slightly different than I've seen before and when I got home it turned out that it was an immature male. Also along here were several Green Dock Beetles, with many females full of eggs.

Great Spotted Woodpecker

The large pool

An immature male Beautiful Demoiselle

An immature male Beautiful Demoiselle

An immature male Beautiful Demoiselle

A female Beautiful Demoiselle

A female Beautiful Demoiselle

A female Beautiful Demoiselle

This is a pair of Green Dock Beetle, Gastrophysa viridula,  The female on the left has a distended abdomen as she is full of eggs.

At the far end of the pool is some shallow water with thousands of tadpoles. I'm not sure what species they are, but the water erupted when I got too close. They looked like miniature catfish swimming through muddy water. An amazing sight.

Just a few of the thousands of tadpoles

After I left the pools and meadow I headed back to the main wood I passed a new pasture field, which has recently been created where the mast stands. Its new residents are a beautiful herd of Highland Cattle with calves.

A Highland Cattle Bull

Mum with her calf

Once back into the wood I came across more Green Dock Beetles, a Sloe Bug, dozens of Nursery Web Spiders and more flies that I need to ID.

Nursery Web Spider

And another Nursery Web Spider

A Sloe Bug

which was very fast and flighty

A fly sp.

And another Fly sp.

The woods were alive with singing birds, there were many warblers including Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warblers. I came across just one Sedge Warbler and a few Common Whitethroat, but not a single Lesser Whitethroat. A Cuckoo was good to hear and in the centre of the wood I had a Tawny Owl call a couple of times which annoyed a few birds locally.

A Wren in good voice

A Willow Warbler - note the flies above his head

A close up

Another Willow Warbler

As he sings so he "shimmies" his wings

A Robin sings from above his territory

My walk was coming to an end and as I passed the cottage in the middle of the Wood, I stopped to watch a Rabbit in the track. He couldn't see me but was quite alert to something else and as he bolted off I realised a Fox was after it.

An alert Rabbit

And off because..........

A Fox was after it...........

Birds recorded today were: 2 Buzzard, 1 Kestrel, 3 Pheasant, Moorhen, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, 1 Cuckoo, Tawny Owl calling, 1 Swift, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Skylark, 3 Swallow, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, 1 Sedge Warbler, 8+ Garden Warbler, 7 Common Whitethroat, 18+ Blackcap, 13+ Chiffchaff, 10+ Willow Warbler, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Yellowhammer and Reed Bunting.

Mammals seen: 1 Grey Squirrel, 1 Fox, 3 Rabbits and 2 Roe Deer

Amphibians seen: Thousands of tadpoles, species unknown.

Butterflies recorded today were: 8 Orange-tips, 2 Brimstone, 1 Small Tortoiseshells, 3 Peacocks and dozens of Green-veined Whites.

Other insects etc.: An immature male and adult female Beautiful Demoiselle, Crane-fles sp., Black Slug, Red Slug, Sloe Bug, Notostira elongata, Bee Flies, Nursery Web Spider (Pisaura mirabilis), Green Dock Beetle (Gastrophysa viridula), Flies sp.

Today's Photos Here