Pages

Sunday 7 December 2014

Neglected Pool

Today I did my WeBS count at Nythe Pool, the count wasn't too bad for such a small water, but what a terrible state the pool is in. I think the images below tell their own story. What gets me is that a week or so ago the Environment Agency sent two vans to the pool to check out the pollution that was flowing into it, so how on earth could they miss the rubbish that has collected in the pool and leave it there!!

Such a pretty pool but........................

..............the rubbish in the water...........

.........is beyond a joke!!!

Probably a case of "not my problem". Oh well at least the Mallards didnt seem to mind, my first for my winter WeBS count, also on today's list was a pair of Moorhen and a Grey Heron. As the vegetation dies back I'm sure I might get a Little Egret before long.

A Grey Heron waits patiently for a snack 

The resident pair of Moorhens

And my first Mallard for my WeBS count, swimming alongside the empty bottles.

Other birds of interest was a large party of Goldcrests, Blue Tits, Great Tits, a Coal Tit, a Treecreeper and a few Long-tailed Tits all feeding together in the brambles overhanging the brook flowing into the pool. A Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over my head and landed on a branch under a Wood Pigeon, I managed just one shot before a Sparrowhawk shot through and sent all the birds flying off in different directions. Friday there were quite a few Blackbirds at Stratton Wood and it was no different here with at least 6 feeding on the ground and on the berry bushes.

A Great Spotted Woodpecker lands beneath a Wood Pigeon and within seconds both birds were gone as a Sparrowhawk shot through.
One of quite a few Blackbirds around the pool today.

And there's never a Grey Squirrel too far away from the pool

Birds Recorded: 1 Grey Heron, 2 Mallard (pair), 1 Sparrowhawk, 2 Moorhen, 2 Black-headed Gull, 4 Herring Gull, 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 10+ Wood Pigeon, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Pied Wagtail, 2 Dunnock, 2 Robin, 6 Blackbird, several Redwing heard, 3 Goldcrest, 1 party of Long-tailed Tit (4+ birds), Coal Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, 1 Treecreeper, 2 Wren, 4 Magpie, 2 Carrion Crow, 3 Chaffinch and 6 Goldfinch. 25 species.

Also seen 1 Grey Squirrel