Pages

Friday 5 December 2014

Winter Sun

I think I planned my walk quite well this afternoon, as soon as I parked up the sun came out. I know most people are parking their cars by the bungalows just off Kingsdown Road, but I decided to park in the lay-by on the southbound carriageway just off the A419. It's just a short walk back up the grass verge and then you're at the footpath into the wood. Unfortunately the main car park is closed because of pipe laying, which now extends all the way through the wood and up Kingsdown Lane.

Looking South. lay-by and footpath on the left

Start point in Red. Black arrows route. Blue line is the pipeline and Green dot the main car park that is closed until May 2015.
Looking back to the footpath gate, A419 and Swindon Garden Centre on the other side of the carriageway.
The main car park in the distance, now closed off.

The pipeline being laid in the wood.

This is the track looking south and runs adjacent to Kingsdown lane which is also being dug up to lay pipes.
Once I'd sorted out my route and was on my way, I was surprised to find lots of Blackbirds, they seemed to be everywhere. Last Autumn I did the Winter Thrush Survey here and I reckon there were more here today than the whole period I did my survey. Strangely though I only came across 4 Redwing and they were all in flight. Other thrushes recorded were 2 Mistle Thrushes and 6 Song Thrushes.

One of many Blackbirds feeding on the Hawthorn Berries

A female Blackbird

It wasn't just the thrushes out in force but good numbers of finches including two Brambling that took flight with the Chaffinches when I got too close.

Greenfinch

Goldfinch

As always there were plenty of Magpies about and I also managed a quick photo of a Jay that landed in the Silver Birch in front of me. Also about was a Green Woodpecker which was feeding on the short grass before I disturbed it and a Chiffchaff calling in the hedgerow, where I also came across a few Bullfinches.

Jay

A Magpie keeps a wary eye on me.

Whereas this Rabbit took one look at me and was gone......

Birds Recorded: 1 Herring Gull, 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Wood Pigeon, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, Robin, 23+ Blackbird, 4 Redwing, 6 Song Thrush, 2 Mistle Thrush, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Goldcrest, small party of Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, 1 Jay, 8 Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 2 Brambling, 20+ Chaffinch, 25+ Goldfinch (one charm of 11), 8 Greenfinch and 6 Bullfinch.

Also seen 4 Rabbits