Pages

Monday 7 March 2016

A Woodland Walk

This morning I had a quick trip to Savernake Forest in the hope of finding a Crossbill. They must have seen me coming as I didn't see or hear any. I did however come across a Willow Tit with a recording below. I have also included recordings from xeno-canto of both Willow Tit and Marsh Tit for comparison. If I've got this completely wrong, then please let me know. I did see it, but it was distant so a visual ID wasn't possible.

  
Willow Tit singing and in the background, apart from the wind, a Jay, Siskins and Redwing


Willow Tit courtesy of xeno-canto



Marsh Tit courtesy of xeno-canto

For the most part the woods were fairly quiet and when I did come small pockets of birds they were mainly tits with the prominent species being Coal Tits. Either that or they just very vocal.

On the pond there were a pair of Mallard and a lots of frog spawn all underneath the north bank. Clever Fogs have worked it out that this area gets all the sun during the day. Not bad for an amphibian that spends a lot of time out at night.

There was also a very friendly Robin who tagged along with me and the dogs for a good 100 metres or so along the track, all the time just staying in front and when I caught up, he moved along to the next bush. I'll have to bring some mealworms along next time.

Also about were 2 Red Kites that circled overhead and then my first Raven of the year. I heard it first and then it passed over the treetops. As I approached the main track where I'd parked my car, there was quite a commotion going on, with 50+ Redwing all chattering away in the wood just south of where my car was parked. Also joining in were a few Song Thrushes and Blackbirds.

In fact this patch of woodland was very productive with bird life, with Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Jay and quite a few Siskins and Goldfinches. This was also where I heard what I believe to be my first Willow Tit of the year!

Birds Recorded: A pair of Mallard, 2 Red Kite, 1 Buzzard, Pheasant, Wood Pigeon, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 50+ Redwing, 5 Song Thrush, Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, 2 Willow Tit, 10+ Coal Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Wren, 2 Jay, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 1 Raven, Chaffinch, 10+ Siskin and Goldfinch.

Here are a few images from today:

First a few trees

....another.....

Plenty of shattered trunks.

And another.........

A few bat boxes. 

Another fallen soul......

This derelict building is along Charcoal Burners Road. 

The Pond at the end of Postwives Walk.

A pair of Mallard on the pond

And here is the friendly Robin....

......and off he goes to the next bush as we follow him down the track.

One of the 2 Red Kites overhead

Willow Tit or Marsh Tit! Anybody's guess. Though its song would suggest Willow Tit, but I'm open to suggestions.

Note: Thank you to my good friend Ed Wilson, who confirmed that the song is that of a Willow Tit. Ed sees and hears Willow Tits almost daily at Priorslee Lake, Telford, Shropshire, so a good tick for the year.