Pages

Saturday 26 January 2013

Lows and Highs

The rain fell, the snow disappeared and the birds seem to have deserted the garden.

 
Saturday 19th                                         Saturday 26th

A single Starling was all that I could record for the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch.  Still there's always tomorrow.

Solitary Starling for Birdwatch

Highlights today was a Little Egret flying over the River Cole at Covingham and the Starlings over Nythe again:

There's been a Little Egret along the River Cole for most of this winter.  It's quite possible that the photo below, which I took on the 5th January is today's bird.

Little Egret

The huge Starling flock I saw yesterday over Covingham, not only changed their fly-over time but also there flight plan.  I was just going to the front of the house where they passed over from right to left at 4:30pm yesterday, when I suddenly caught them flying behind me as I was coming out the back door at 4:15pm.  I just managed  a couple of shots, but its difficult to get all 5000+ Starlings in the viewfinder.  Yet again very impressive as they passed overhead heading north.

A small section of the 5000+ Starlings this evening