Pages

Wednesday 9 April 2014

Lost and found

Well what was supposed to be a leisurely walk around Nightingale Wood, turned into a bit of a hike, when having returned to the car after a 2 hour walk I realised I was no longer in possession of my binoculars. So it was back around once more until I eventually found them, which was the furthest point I got on my original walk, half-way round. Well at least I found them.

I started my walk at 8:40am and eventually got back to the car park for the second time at 11:45am. The weather today was glorious and the extremely cold wind we had yesterday was all but gone. As the sun rose so did the temperature and out of the breeze it was very pleasant, so much so that there were dozens of butterflies flying about and Drone Flies. Along Marston Brook there were several Crane Flies dancing along the waters edge.

Drone Fly

Drone Fly

Small Tortoiseshell

Peacock

Everywhere though was the sound of Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps, with the occasional Willow Warbler bursting into song. In a couple of dense hedges I came across a Garden Warbler in each, singing softly to themselves, so different from the loud Blackcaps that were drowning everything else out.

Blackcap 

Chiffchaff with ring on right leg

Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

By the pool a Little Grebe burst into a shrill, which had I'd heard it at night would have scared the living daylights out of me. It really is an ear-piercing trill. Also on the pool a pair of Canada Geese were watching me warily as I walked passed them.

The pool

A pair of Canada Geese

Little Grebe

Across the meadows a Jay flew low and fast before disappearing into the dense woods and overhead a few Meadow Pipits headed east. As I headed back to the main wood a small group of Roe Deer wandered across the newly ploughed fields, which were also being visited by small groups of Linnet, Greenfinch and Chaffinches, which were presumably feeding on seeds still on the surface.

Roe Deer

Roe Deer

Roe Deer

Back in the wood, there were many Brimstone butterflies flying about and by the duck pond a Green-veined White made its way along the flowering Blackthorn.

Eventually I made it back to the car park, with still more Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps singing. Spring is definitely here.

Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

Birds recorded: 1 Little Grebe, Grey Heron, 2 Canada Goose, 1 Mallard, 4 Pheasant, Wood Pigeon, 4 Collared Dove, 1 Green Woodpecker, 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Skylark, 5 Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, 2 Garden Warbler, 26 Blackcap, 28 Chiffchaff, 5 Willow Warbler, Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, 1 Jay, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch, Yellowhammer and 2 Reed Bunting.

Mammals seen: 8 Roe Deer, Grey Squirrel and 2 Rabbits.

Insects seen: Drone Flies, Crane Flies, Black Ants, 10 Small Tortoiseshell butterflies, 12 Peacock  butterflies, 10 Brimstone butterflies and a Green-veined White butterfly.

Plants recorded: White Dead-nettle, Red Dead-nettle, Cowslip, Dandelions and Blackthorn


More Photos Here from Today