Pages

Wednesday 23 April 2014

Three in a Row

With the forecast of rain this afternoon, I headed off to Liden Lagoon this morning. As I got out of the car, the first spots of rain started to come down. So much for a dry start. As I walked down to the waters edge there was a huge splash and 3 Cormorants that had been swimming close to the north bank, saw me and took off at high speed. They didn't hang around and having landed close to the southern island, then took off again and headed off towards Coate Water.

As the rain came down so did one or two Swallows, and as I found shelter along the east bank several more came down to the Lagoon. In fact by the time I'd walked ¾ of the way round there were over a dozen Swallows feeding just above the surface.

Swallow

As I watched them skimming the surface, a large party of Lesser Black-backed Gulls came down to bathe. Strangely enough there weren't any Herring Gulls, which in the winter always seem to outnumber the Lessers. A familiar "quack" came from the north island and I was pleased to see that the pair of Gadwall were still present. 

On the islands and around the banks, there were a few Blackcaps singing and at least one Chiffchaff on the southern island. As I walked along the tarmac path 4 Sand Martins joined the the Swallows and just before I got into the car a pair of House Martins flew over estate to join them. Having only seen 1 Swallow this Spring it was good see a few more of them and now their cousins. 

Sand Martin

Birds Recorded: Pair Great Crested Grebe, 3 Cormorant, pair Mute Swan, Canada Goose (not counted), Mallard, pair Gadwall, Moorhen, Coot, 12 Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 4 Sand Martin, 2 House Martin, 12 Swallow, Dunnock, Blackbird, 4 singing Blackcap, 1 Chiffchaff, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch and Goldfinch.

Today's Photos Here