Pages

Sunday 13 April 2014

What a Glorious Morning

Having dropped Dawn off at work, I made my way to Mouldon Hill with the idea of trying a different route. On previous visits here I've always done a clockwise walk with the canal to my left, but having had a look at Google Earth I could see that if I followed one of the trails from the car park to where it met the bottom of Thamesdown Drive, I could cross over the canal and keep it on my right. Not only that, as I found out a little further on, but by coming off the tow path and walking through a gap in the hedge I was also pretty close to the River Ray on my left.

Mouldon Hill trail

The old canal

For a good 95% of the walk all you could hear were Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs singing, with the occasional Willow Warbler. There were many male Chiffchaffs "fighting" over females and before I'd left the tow path there were quite a few zooming across the canal from one side to the other, chasing off rival males. The Blackcaps on the other hand seemed to have already sorted out their territories, as males were just happy to out-sing their counterparts on the opposite bank.

Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

Chiffchaff

As I made my way through the gap in the hedge I had a sense that something was watching me, and sure enough in the hedge across the scrubland a Roe Deer was peering at me from under the hedge. I left her to it and made my way up to the bridge that crosses the River Ray. In the undergrowth I could hear Shrews going about their business, with one or two daring ones running across the path in front of me. Close by I could also hear the "yaffle" of a Green Woodpecker, followed by a second bird. And then from above the bushes one of the birds appeared, followed by a second, which promptly landed in a tree some 50 metres away. Also about were a pair of Buzzards circling overhead, no doubt looking for a meal.

A Roe Deer keeps a watchful eye on me and Benji

A Green Woodpecker in a upward loop

Green Woodpecker

Buzzard

The path eventually makes its way towards the bridge which is where I decided to rejoin the tow path. As I did, I could hear a Sedge Warbler followed by a second. After a few minutes one of them shot up from the reeds and landed in a Hawthorn Bush, before flying off towards another reed bed. A Kingfisher called from the river and I just managed a glimpse of that iridescent blue as it made its way downstream.

The River Ray

The overgrown canal

And on the other side scrubland.

Sedge Warbler

In-flight

A little further on the canal stops quite close to the River Ray and it was here that a Blackcap came out onto a branch and started singing away. I managed a couple of photos or so and then all of a sudden I could hear a loud whimper and yelp, and before I could do anything, Benji was in the canal, having been jumped on and then pushed in by big black & white dog. The owner of the other dog was really sorry; but these things happen. I managed to pull him out and after a couple of treats he was happy again.

A Male Blackcap

Enjoying the sun

Before he flew off when heard Benji yelp!

Benji shows me where he fell in

A muddy slope and a foot of water.

From this point onwards I followed the River Ray around to the Lake, where I could see that the Swans were nesting, well at least I think they are, on a small island in the middle. Also on the lake were Mallards, Canada Geese, Coot, Moorhen, a Great Crested Grebe and to my surprise a Little Grebe, which I initially heard from the reed bed and then by the island. Also in the reed beds, a possible Reed Warbler!! began singing and then annoyingly stopped. Despite my best efforts to find it, it was gone. See Here for update on Reed Warbler,

Great Crested Grebe 

Little Grebe

Normally at this part of the walk I would head back to the car park, but I've often seen people heading off over the river to the north. So with a bit of time on my hands and the fact that Benji was enjoying his walk, (apart from his dip) we headed off over the river. Fifty metres or so along the path there was a gap in the trees on my right, with a path leading up to a gate. Being inquisitive I went through the gate, were there was a sign on a post indicating that the management plan for this woodland was under review. The wood is called Purton and Berriman's and by the look of the trees, a very young wood. The hedgerows are very mature though and there were Orange Tips and Speckled Woods everywhere. On top of one of the taller trees a Willow Warbler was doing his best to keep a grip on the branch that was swaying about in the wind.

Purton and Berriman's Wood

Speckled Wood. My first of the year

Willow Warbler

The path through this woodland takes you along the banks of the River Ray and back to the bridge I'd crossed earlier. From this point I headed back to the Car Park, where Benji made a new friend called Poppy, a 6 year Bichon Frisé. I don't doubt Benji was thinking to himself, at long last a nice friendly dog!

Poppy (left) and Benji say hello

I think Benji was a bit shy!!

Birds Recorded: 1 Great Crested Grebe, 1 Little Grebe, 2 Mute Swan, 2 Canada Goose, Mallard, 2 Buzzard, Moorhen, Coot, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 1 Kingfisher, 3 Green Woodpecker, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Skylark, 2 Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, 1 Reed Warbler, 2 Sedge Warbler, 2 Garden Warblers, 20+ Blackcap, 27+ Chiffchaff, 8 Willow Warbler, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 1 Starling, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinch and Reed Bunting.

Mammals Recorded: Roe Deer and Shrew

Butterflies Recorded: 8 Peacock, 12 Small Tortoiseshell, 5 Orange Tip, 3 Speckled Wood, 3 Green-veined White.

Flies: Drone Fly

Molluscs: White-lipped Banded Snail

Today's Photos Here