Pages

Thursday 17 April 2014

Where's The Sun Gone Now!

Yet the weatherman got it right again, sunny start to the day with increased cloud by the afternoon. Unfortunately I couldn't get away first thing so it was a sunless afternoon walk around Stanton Park. However the good thing was, it wasn't cold, and the grass banks around the pool were full of picnickers.

This was a fairly short walk, up the main track and around the pool and back. Before I got to the feeders I had a quick look in the pools, but yet again no sign of any Terrapins. The only thing I did see was a fairly large bird above me land in the Horse Chestnut opposite me. At first I thought it might have been a Green Woodpecker, but as the picture below shows it was a Mistle Thrush.

A Mistle Thrush high up in the canopy

At the feeders there were Nuthatch, Great Tit, Blue Tit and Marsh Tit, whilst in the surrounding bushes there were Wrens, Dunnocks, Chaffinches, Blackbirds and several singing Chiffchaffs, not forgetting a few Blackcaps.

A Marsh Tit about to take off  for the feeders

And a Wren which was very vocal

Before I got to the Pool there was a large carpet of Bluebells in flower along with a few white ones. As I approached the dam I thought I'd take a look at the tree where the Treecreepers were nesting. I waited awhile, but not a sign of anything. Hopefully that's good news and the female is sitting on eggs.

A carpet Bluebells

With the odd white one in amongst them

On the pool I had a pleasant surprise as there was the Orange "neck collared" Canada Goose with a mate. Now the the last time I saw FT at Stanton was on 22 Feb 14 and when I contacted Exeter University it was thought that it might be a very light weighted  male. However its mate is quite a large bird, so perhaps FT is a female. If they do settle down to breed here then we shall know for definite.

The following is the update I received on 23 Feb regarding the FT Canada Goose

The orange collared Canada Goose with the letters FT sighted at Stanton Park lake yesterday 22 Feb, was ringed as an adult on 5 Jul 12 on CWP125, which is where it spent most of its time up until now. It is listed as being a male but was very light for a male when ringed (3.9kg) and has not been recorded as having a partner. This information was courtesy of the University of Exeter, who carried out a project on the movement of 153 Canada Geese in the CWP in May 2012.

FT and its mate

Is FT a male or female?

Also on the lake were Mallard, 4 Swans, the Cob was rounding up the two remaining juveniles from last year whilst the Pen was on a brand new nest further up the lake from last years. Overhead 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls came in and landed on the water for a brief moment before joining another 12 birds over the main car park.

Two Lesser Black-backed Gulls

As I left the pool a Buzzard passed over my head and in the fields leading up to the Stanton House the fields were full of Goldfinches, Jackdaws and Pied Wagtails. As I approached the car park a single House Martin flew over my head and headed towards the pool and as I was leaving Stanton 2 Swallows flew across the access road and into the cow field on the right. Before I left Stanton another Buzzard and his mate drifted over the road.

Buzzard

Goldfinch

Jackdaw

And a Pied Wagtail

Birds Recorded were 4 Mute Swan (pair and 2 juv), pair Canada Goose, Mallard, 3 Buzzard, Moorhen, Coot, 14 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Wood Pigeon, Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1 House Martin, 2 Swallows, 3 Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird plus juveniles, 2 Song Thrush, 1 Mistle Thrush, 7 Blackcap, 5 Chiffchaff, 1 Willow Warbler, 2 Goldcrest, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Wren, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Bullfinch.

Butterflies seen were 4 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Green-veined White

Today's Photos Here