Pages

Wednesday 23 December 2015

Finch Corner

If you ever hear me say, "would you like to meet up for a bit of bird watching", be prepared for a soaking. I have no idea why I can leave my house in glorious sunshine and blue skies, and then arrive at my destination to see the clouds thicken up and the heavens open. I'm just lucky I guess........

Any way my short excursion this evening was a visit to "Finch CornerHere, so named by myself because of the fantastic number of Chaffinch, Brambling and Greenfinch that "reside" there before they leave for their respective roosts. And its not just finches as there are also good numbers of Yellowhammer and now it appears a few Tree Sparrows.

Here are a few images from this evening:

Brambling

From left to right Greenfinch, Greenfinch, Tree Sparrow, Brambling and another Brambling bottom right.
Tree Sparrow

Tree Sparrow and Brambling

Brambling

Brambling

Brambling

Brambling

Yellowhammer

Brambling

Yellowhammer

Brambling

Before I arrived there was this scrawny Common Buzzard feeding on a carcass.

Here the same bird is in flight.

And as the light really began to fade so this Kestrel decided to hover above me.

Birds Recorded: 3 Buzzard, 2 Kestrel, Pheasant, 4 Red-legged Partridge, Wood Pigeon, 3 Meadow Pipit, Robin, Blackbird, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 25 Starling, 5 Tree Sparrow, 15+ Brambling, 20+ Chaffinch, 15+ Greenfinch, and 15+ Yellowhammer.