Pages

Thursday 17 December 2015

One of the Best

It's not often I can get out and about without the dogs. But alas both Benji and Ted had their advocates yesterday, which means no muddy walks for them for 3 days. The forecast was dry for the morning and rain pm. Well the weatherman got that right, as it's now raining as I type this up.

So my muddy walk this morning was around Coate Water's main lake, which amazingly took me just under 3hrs. In that time "Coate runners" could have completed a marathon if not more. I started around 9:30am when it appeared a lot of people were just leaving, and I had the whole lake to myself, well near enough.

It actually turned out to be one of my best winter walks around Coate I've had for a long while. Highlights were at least 1 Yellow-legged Gull (possibly 2), 10 Common Gulls, 8 Goosander, 2 Kingfishers and lots of other interesting birds.

So without further ado here is a pictorial record of my walk.

Quite a few Great Crested Grebes on the main water. A few in winter plumage were attempting courtship displays, albeit half-heartedly.

These Cormorants seem to like this fallen branch to dry their wings out. Most I've seen on here has been 4. Any more and it will probably break.

At least 5 Grey Herons dotted around the banks. This one was about 20ft away and didn't mind me one bit.

In fact he even gave me an opportunity for a good close-up.

Others weren't so sure about my presence... 

And another departed as I got a little too close.

However this one decided that feeding was more important than flying off.

And he obviously found a good spot as this unfortunate Perch found out!

Now what have we got here. Not the Herons nest, but an abandoned Swan nest I believe.

Talking about Swans, quite a few about with at least 30.

Mallards and I'm sure the two white ones are Aylesbury's.

An unusual pose. A drake Gadwall showing some lovely colours and patterns as he preens himself.

Two female Teal are the centre of attention, as the 6 drakes display to them.

A short video of the Teal

A quick stretch by a drake Goosander. Lovely warm colours on his chest.

And now my Yellow-legged Gull (centre back). The best clue is the very clean and white plumage without streaking. However as winter passes so Herring Gulls like those in the centre will start to lose their head-streaking and make the recognition of Yellow-legged Gulls all the much harder.

Another shot of the same bird. Slightly leaner-looking species than Herring, with a squarer-looking head, produced by the flat crown. Another was seen later but too far away for a shot. My next trip to Coate will be with my scope!! More on Yellow-legged Gulls Here

And now you have it all. All the seasons that you can see Black-headed Gulls in moult. We have winter to spring to almost summer.

Might have to turn the screen around for this adult winter Black-headed Gull. What a strange pose! And the one behind is a 1st winter.

Another comparison, Black-headed Gull foreground and a Common Gull behind.

Another Common Gull

And two more in foreground.

And one in flight. In total I counted 10, which is pretty good.

Redwing, plus a few Fieldfare and Jackdaws were on the greens, feeding I suspect on earthworms. They certainly look like worm casts dotted around.

It's not often you can get close to Goldfinch, and a bit of patience was needed as I waited for 3 birds to come down off a tree to feed on these thistle heads. Apparently if the red on the head goes beyond the eye (to the right on this bird) it's a male.

One of the 3 Goldfinches feeding on the thistle heads

Birds Recorded: 20+ Great Crested Grebe, 8 Cormorant, 6 Grey Heron, 30+ Mute Swan, 135 Canada Geese, Mallard, 11 Gadwall (6m, 5f), 8 Teal (6m, 2f), 40+ Tufted Duck, 8 Goosander (3m 5f), 1 Buzzard, 1 Water Rail calling, Moorhen, Coot, 500+ Black-headed Gull, 12 Herring Gull, 1 possibly 2 Yellow-legged Gulls, 40+ Lesser Black-backed Gull, 10 Common Gull, Wood Pigeon, 2 Collared Dove, 2 Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, 1 Pied Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 3 Fieldfare, 12 Redwing, 2 Song Thrush, 1 Mistle Thrush, Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Marsh Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Treecreeper, Wren, Jay, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, 150+ Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, 2 Lesser Redpoll, 10 Siskin, Goldfinch.

Also 12+ Grey Squirrels and a Perch