Pages

Saturday 22 April 2017

More Moths

As I was up at 3:50am I was thinking off switching the moth trap off, but as I looked out of the kitchen window I could see several moths still flying about, so decided to wait until day break.

Finally at 5:15am the trap was switched off and the ID'ing began.

There were 11 moths of 8 species:

1 Common Plume or T-moth, Emmelina monodactyla
2 Early Grey, Xylocampa areola
2 Hebrew Character, Orthosia gothica
2 Brown House Moth, Hofmannophila pseudospretella
1 Twenty-plume Moth, Alucita hexadactyla
1 Common Quaker, Orthosia cerasi
1 Knot Grass, Acronicta rumicis
1 Common Pug, Eupithecia vulgata

The minimum temperature overnight only dropped to 10.6°C, so I wasn't that surprised there were so many about.

Also in the trap a Common Green Lacewing (Chrysoperla carnea) and 2 caddisflies and a lacewing to ID.


Knot Grass

Hebrew Character

Twenty-plume Moth

Early Grey

And another Early Grey

Brown House Moth

Common Plume

Common Quaker

I believe this is a Common Pug, Eupithecia vulgata

caddisfly sp.

caddisfly sp.

Common Green Lacewing