Pages

Monday 17 April 2017

Warblers Down On The Farm

Sadly I missed my visit to Lotmead Farm last month, but I managed an early visit there this morning. Sunrise was 6:07am this morning, but I was there well before that and on my way to the Reserve pool for 5:15am.

En route from the car park to the pool I managed 15 Robins, 3 Blackbirds, 2 Song Thrushes and several Wrens all singing as the sky started to lighten up.

At the pool I could hear a Little Grebe calling out and later watched a pair swimming together at the far end of the pool. Just the 1 duckling with a pair of Mallard on the water and later 2 drakes joined them.

Also on the pool a pair of Canada Geese, with one bird sporting an Orange neck band with the letters HJ printed on it. The last time this bird was seen was at Inglesham on 19 Feb 16 when it was with 45 other geese. This bird came from the Cotswold Water Park and was part of a research project run by the University of Exeter and Cotswold Water Park. More Info on the CWP Blog Canada Goose Research Project Here.

Other birds of interest were the number of warblers singing with 5 Blackcaps, 6 Chiffchaff and 2 Willow Warblers.

Overhead I had my first Greylag Goose for my patch list and other over-flying birds included 2 more Canada Geese, quite a few gulls, mainly Lesser Black-backed and I also had a Mistle Thrush over the farm.

In the trees at the west end of the pool, there was a raptor of some sort. I never saw it but it called several times whilst I was there. We shall never know!

And a single Swallow flew across the pool at 6:20am

As I left at 7:20am I came across a Roe Deer at close quarters. When he picked up my scent he was off......

The pair of Canada Geese with one sporting an orange neck band with HJ.

A fly-by snapshot of my first Greylag Goose here

One of 6 very vocal Chiffchaffs at Lotmead.

And a magnificent looking stag Roe Deer, posing very well for me until.......

..........he caught wind of me and he was off!!!

Birds Recorded here this morning were: 2 Little Grebe, 1 Mute Swan, 1 Greylag Geese, 4 Canada Geese, 5 Mallard (1 pair, 2 drakes and 1 duckling), 5 Pheasant, 3 Moorhen, 1 Coot, 4 Black-headed Gull, 3 Herring Gull, 12 Lesser Black-backed GullWood Pigeon, 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Skylark, 1 SwallowDunnock, 15 Robin, 3 Blackbird, 2 Song Thrush, 1 Mistle Thrush, 5 Blackcap, 6 Chiffchaff, 2 Willow Warbler, 4 Long-tailed TitGreat TitBlue Tit, 1 Treecreeper, 8 Wren, 3 MagpieRookCarrion CrowJackdaw, 1 StarlingHouse SparrowChaffinchGoldfinch and a Greenfinch.

Also seen a stag Roe Deer.