Pages

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Liden Lagoon in April

Thinking back to last year, all the trees were in leaf and you knew Spring was here. What a difference a year makes then, because the Lagoon looks pretty bleak, with bare trees and hardly a hint of anything happening soon. But, there's always a but, what I didn't expect hear was one possibly two Willow Warblers singing from one of the islands.  It was totally unexpected and definitely brightened up my walk around the pool. I even managed a record shot as it flew around the island. Honest it is a Willow Warbler and it really was a chance shot.
Willow Warbler in flight at top of image

The whitish blob in the centre is a Willow Warbler - honest

Apart from that a single Chiffchaff was all I could muster.  So it was onto the gulls, with Herring Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls taking centre stage, with there continual squabbling and food fights in mid-air. One Lesser Black-backed Gull had some primaries missing and was easy to spot. There were a lot of Gulls in different stages of growth, so if I get them wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. They are really difficult!

Herring Gull - A 3rd winter I believe

Lesser Black-backed Gull with missing primaries

Adult Lesser Black-backed Gull

1st-winter Herring Gull twisting its head upwards

A Mid-air fight