Pages

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Chiseldon Revisited

Having missed out on the Ruddy Shelduck and the Green Sandpiper yesterday, I decided to have another go today and wasn't to be disappointed. There on the mud behind the waters edge were both the Ruddy Shelduck. Even though I was well hidden behind the hedge, they obviously sensed I was there and were soon up on their feet and heading off into the water. They are beautiful birds and it does make you wonder were they originated from.

One eye open

Up on its feet

And a bit of grazing with a Pied Wagtail for company

As for the Green Sandpiper, it wasn't until I poked my head through the hedge that I realised it was under my nose. Needles-to-say it wasn't impressed and shot off to the opposite end of the water.  However it eventually made its way back and though not the best of images I did manage a couple of record shots. 

Green Sandpiper in Flight. A bit blurred as it took me by surprise.

Not the best of shots as this has been massively cropped.

Also about a smaller flock of Linnets with a few Corn Bunting. I did manage a shot through the trees of a Corn Bunting sitting in the hedgerow, but it wasn't until I processed the image at home, that I realised there was another bird sitting under it. It looks pretty nondescript apart from a reddish brown head, so I'm thinking possibly a female Blackcap; which is feasible as there had been a male singing here yesterday!

Corn Bunting (top) and possible female Blackcap below.

Other birds about were a Skylark which I didn't hear yesterday and another new bird a pair of Greenfinches. There were only few Redwing left and I didn't see any Fieldfare. Also I only heard one Chiffchaff, which would suggest the birds I saw yesterday, stopped over for food and water and have moved on.

In total 21 species were seen today: Ruddy Shelduck, Green SandpiperWoodpigeonMeadow PipitPied WagtailMagpieRookCarrion CrowWrenDunnockChiffchaffBlackcapRobinBlackbirdRedwingBlue TitChaffinchGreenfinchLinnetCorn Bunting and Yellowhammer.