Pages

Saturday 12 July 2014

A Very Hot Day

A very early morning Red Admiral in the back garden was my first of the year here in Nythe. I first spotted it at 7:30am on the Buddleia and then later at 8:25am when I managed a few photos. As the temperature rose, lots of Drone Fly's arrived to feed on the Buddleia along with a lone Small Tortoiseshell.

An early morning Red Admiral.

My first in the garden this year.

Lots of Drone Fly first thing this morning

In hover-mode

And feeding on nectar

Just the one Small Tortoiseshell this morning

On the Bramble a Small Cabbage White butterfly settled momentarily before fluttering over the fence and to the neighbours cabbages. I'm assuming it was a Small white as it was a lot smaller than a Large White.

I'm sure this is a Small White and not a Green-veined. And it was too small for a Large White!

Around the garden White-tailed Bumblebees were on the Purple Loosestrife and joining them were a couple of bees which I'm unsure of and a Marmalade HoverflyEpisyrphus balteatus.


White-tailed Bumblebee

Bee sp. smaller than a Honeybee

Same bee different angle!

A very white looking bee but smaller than the Shrill Carder-bee I saw a couple of days ago.
Marmalade Hoverfly in hover-mode

Settled

And just taking off

And this evening a beautifully marked Common Emerald flew into the living room.

Common Emerald