Pages

Monday 14 July 2014

Misty Morning

Another early walk today. I dropped Dawn off at work and made my way to Nightingale Wood. There was heavy dew when I arrived just after 6:00am and the air was very chilly. It was that cold, not even the Roe Deer were out and as I made my way down to the hide a Brook Meadow, I was quite surprised that there weren't any in the meadow either. In fact I didn't see a single one in the 3 hours I spent walking around.

In the meadow there were 2 Reed Buntings calling and I could just about make out a Willow Warbler singing. Close to the hide a Common Whitethroat was calling and on the feeder a juvenile Great Tit came down of the Willow to have a look and immediately flew off when he realised there was nothing in the feeders. Just before I left a Green Woodpecker shot across in front of the hide yaffling as he did so.

A cool start to the morning as I headed down to Brook Meadow

The early morning view across Brook Meadow

On the Roves Farm track, a Fox crossed over and stopped and stared at me. He then moved closer to the tree line and then started calling at me. He was obviously not happy that I was there, so after a couple photos and a short video I moved on down Marston Brook and left him in peace.

This Fox was just off the Rove's Farm track and wasn't happy to see me.


This is him having a go at me.

Looking across the field towards the River Cole, it was quite evident that the sheep had been brought back to the field with this years offspring. And as I got closer to the river the mist started to rise off it as the sun got higher.

The early morning mist rises off the River Cole

In the meadow I spotted a Great Spotted Woodpecker preening himself and as I watched it, I realised a Buzzard was in the tree with it. Having spotted me, they both decided that I was bit too close to them and flew off.

The Buzzard spots me and is off

The Great Spotted Woodpecker has a preen

before seeing me and flies off too........

Around the pond a Moorhen called out and a couple of Reed Warblers were heard singing. In the surrounding woods there were plenty of juvenile warblers especially Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs.  Beyond the pond I walked past the felled trees and in amongst them was a juvenile Robin.

In the recently cleared woodland a juvenile Robin looks for food.

Leaving the wood and pond behind, I made my way back towards the main wood and as the temperature really started to rise then more and more butterflies started to appear, with Small Tortoiseshell, Skippers, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns and Red Admirals out in good numbers.

Small Tortoiseshell

Skipper feeding on the nectar

Gatekeeper

In the main wood I came across which I believe is a Southern Hawker which kindly alighted high up in the trees, so that I could at least get a photograph it.

I'm sure this a Southern Hawker

A bit further around and to the west of Roves Farm another Buzzard was spotted this time sitting on a support frame between two telegraph poles. Unfortunately with the sun behind me it wasn't long before he spotted me and he was gone to.

Another Buzzard and yep he's spotted me and is soon on his way

Along the path there were more Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs collecting food, with the occasional break for a song.
A male Blackcap in good voice 

As was this Chiffchaff

As I got close to the car park, something caught my eye in the long grass. As I stopped a juvenile Fox appeared and was seen sniffing around the cars before spotting me and shooting off into the hedge. Around the car park there were a few Drone Flies and my second Marbled White of the morning.

A juvenile Fox scavenges around the car park

I don't know if its just me, but this seems to be a very good year for the Drone Fly. There are good numbers around at the moment.

Not many Marbled White's today, but this one kept still long enough for a photo.

Birds noted: 2 Buzzard, Pheasant, Moorhen, 2 Black-headed Gull, 5 Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 1 Collared Dove, 1 Green Woodpecker, 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Skylark, 1 Swallow, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Reed Warbler, 2 Garden Warbler, 3 Common Whitethroat, 10+ Blackcap including juveniles, 13+ Chiffchaff, 1 Willow Warbler, Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Treecreeper, Wren, 1 Jay, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 1 Starling, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, 8+ Bullfinch and Reed Bunting.

Mammals: 2 Foxes, 2 Grey Squirrels and dozens of Rabbits

Butterflies: 5 Red Admirals, 1 Peacock, 5 Small Tortoiseshell, 12+ Small Skipper, 10+ Large Skipper, 20+ Gatekeepers, 12+ Meadow Brown, 6+ Ringlet, 2 Marbled White, 3 Green-veined White and 2 Large White.

Dragonflies: 1 Southern Hawker

Other insects: Drone Fly, Soldier Beetles