Pages

Thursday 4 September 2014

A Bit of a Mixed Bag

Unfortunately I was house-bound today, but there were some interesting sightings out in the back garden to make up for it. As I was letting the chickens out at 7:15am a Yellow Wagtail flew over the house, followed by a pair of House Martins, all heading south. Later in the day another pair of Martin's were feeding above the house and they also drifted off in a southerly direction.

The sun never really came out and though there was the odd patch of blue sky, it remained cloudy all day, which made my next discovery a bit of an oddity. On what is left of the Purple Loosestrife a Helophilus pendulus hoverfly was feeding on the last remaining flowers. What makes this hoverfly unique is that its other name is the Sun-fly as it's "normally" only ever seen when the sun is shining brightly.

The Sun-fly

Comes into land on the Purple Loosestrife

A Helophilus pendulus hoverfly very bright and distinguishable from other hoverflies
On the Buddleia there were 4 Red Admirals, 2 Large Whites, a Small Tortoiseshell and for the first time that I've seen this year a Speckled Wood actually stopping over in the garden and feeding alongside the Red Admirals. However my first impression of it, was that it was a very pale Comma, the wings were absolutely shredded and it wasn't until it opened up them up that I realised it was a Speckled Wood.
Red Admiral on the Buddleia

One of two Large Whites in the garden today

Not a Comma but a very bedraggled Speckled Wood

Just about hanging in there.

Sadly there were no Commas today, which got me thinking that the the two I saw the other day (2 Sep) could possibly have been two newly hatched ones from my nettle patch. I'm not sure how long the pupal stage takes, but it does seem a bit of a coincidence, plus they were in absolute pristine condition.
In fact after a bit of googling I came across the BBC's "How to grow your own butterflies" Page and their Commas took approx. 2 weeks. So there we have it. So I shall have to keep my eyes open as there were at least 4 caterpillars a few weeks back.