Pages

Sunday 14 September 2014

A Good Finale

An early morning walk around Nightingale Wood was very rewarding, right up up until I returned to the car a couple of hours later. I arrived at around 7:30am and was a bit surprised to see two cars already in the car park with one just leaving, and I thought I was early!

As I came into the car park a Roe Deer disappeared into the wood to my left and as I got out of the car I was greeted by a Chiffchaff singing. By the end of my 3 mile walk I actually heard 4 more singing.

My route was much the same as previous walks here, which saw me walk down to the Hide overlooking Brook Meadow, along Marston Brook towards the River Cole, around behind the Pool, back up towards Rove Farm and then onto the dog walkers track to the east and then finally back to the Car Park.

As I took the track between the hedges I noticed that the Forestry Commissions Nightingale Wood concrete sign was gone and all that was left was a bit of rubble.

Before (photo courtesy of Tara's Trails)

After. Stolen, removed, to be replaced. Who knows!!

Highlights were: 

A Fox walking towards me alongside the River Cole. When he realised I was standing in front of him he turned and shot off in the opposite direction, spooking a Sheep as he did so. I also had a Kingfisher here, zooming down the river.

On the search for a vole or mouse

Then he spots me

And legs it

Stops to see if I'm still there

Realises I am and shoots off again to the surprise of this sheep.

4 Jays in a recently harvested field, where there was also a Green Woodpecker, a dozen Rooks and a Roe Deer resting up in the set-a-side.

One of 4 Jays in the recently harvested field

The other 3 spot me and are off

A Roe Deer sits it out in the set-a-side

Just here and well away from the track

Many small parties of tits, crests, Treecreepers and warblers moving through the woods including 3 large ones, with one in particular which had 12 Long-tailed Tits, 5+ Blue Tits, at least 2 Coal Tits, 4+ Goldcrests, 1 Treecreeper, 5+ Chiffchaffs and a few Chaffinches. This party was just past the Hide and Dog Dip pool, which were on my right. Also in the woods a few Great Spotted Woodpeckers with one posing well for me, before flying off.

Great Spotted Woodpecker poses for me

And then flies to the next conifer poses again.

Everywhere were Robins, if I said I heard 30 it was probably double that. Chiffchaffs were plentiful and I also heard at least 8 Blackcap with one singing in subsong. If hadn't been standing within 6ft of it, I doubt I would have heard it. Very subtle song. A few male Chaffinches and Dunnocks were in good voice as well.

One of many Chaffinches seen today

And the Dunnocks were in good voice as well.

A few Meadow Pipits passed overhead on migration and I also had two parties of Pied Wagtails. Also in the hedgerows a few Common Amber Snails and Snowberry's.

Common Amber Snail. They seem to like the vegetation along the bank of Marston Brook
A Snowberry (aka Waxberry or Ghostberry), poisonous to humans but an important winter food source for pheasants.
Just past Roves Farm there were several Wood Pigeons sitting on the wires above a recently harvested field. It wasn't until I had a good look at the photograph that I realised 4 were Collared Doves. That will teach me to be a bit more observant next time, I thought they were all the same species.

Both Wood Pigeons and Collared Doves balance on the wires.

The star of the walk though had to be a Spotted Flycatcher in an oak tree close to the car park. I heard it first, saw it in my binoculars, but by the time I'd got the camera out it had gone. An excellent end to a good walk, or so I thought, because as I got home and made my way into the kitchen I noticed something buzzing around the Buddleia outside and it was another Hummingbird Hawk-moth. My second this month.

Hummingbird Hawk-moth

Back for the second time this month

I wonder if I'll be third time lucky

Birds Recorded: 1 Grey Heron, 2 Pheasant, 2 Moorhen, 2 Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, 1 Kingfisher, 3 Green Woodpecker, 3 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 6 Skylark, House Martin heard, 4 Swallow, 6 Meadow Pipit, 5 Pied Wagtail, 1 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, many Robins, Blackbird, 3 Song Thrush, 8+ Blackcap (1 singing - subsong), 25+ Chiffchaff (4 singing), 10+ Goldcrest, 1 Spotted Flycatcher, Long-tailed Tit, 2+ Coal Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, 2 Treecreeper, Wren, 6 Jay, Magpie, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, 1 Starling, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, 12+ Greenfinch and 12+ Bullfinch.

Also 2 Roe Deer, 1 Fox, 6+ Rabbits.

Insects: Bees, Wasps and Common Amber Snails (Succinea putris)

Plants in fruit: Snowberry, Hawthorn, Blackberry, Elder, Dog Rose, Oak and Dogwood