Pages

Monday 1 September 2014

Sad Times

Having not visited Stratton Wood for quite sometime, I realised today that I'd also not visited Liden Lagoon for quite awhile either. So Liden it was to be and as I made my way down to the waters edge from the car park, I was amazed by the amount of thick gooey sponge-like algae that was spread a good 80% of the pool. I know I've not lived in Swindon long, but this is the first time I've seen this water in such a sorry state. Talking to the locals it not been like this for many many years. Even the birds were struggling to get through it.

Thick algae across the pool.

Looks more like a field than water.

A Grey Heron wades through the "sponge"

The algae has definitely had an effect on the geese, with just one pair of Canada Geese on the water. There were dozens of Moorhens and Coots about, and there was even a freshly hatched Coot chick swimming about. Though according to locals there were 2, the day before. There was a huge presence of Mallard, with at least 70 birds and in among them I came across 14 Tufted Duck, which is a pretty good number. Other birds of note were a pair of Grey Wagtails, a Kingfisher that just eluded the camera, and 3 Chiffchaff calling.

A Coot chick just about manages to make its way to mum through the algae.

Another late youngster, this time a Mallard duckling

A Mallard swimming in a green sea

These Tufted Duck and Coot have found one of the few open stretches of water at the lagoon.
When I first arrived at the waters edge, there were a few Mute Swans on the bank far to my right, and when I had walked around and ended up on the tarmac path, they had gathered by the edge. I say they, as all I could see was one adult and 3 juveniles. When I stopped and asked a few locals when they had last seen both adults, the reply was about 2 weeks ago. One of the dog walkers told me that she had found the charred remains of a big bird just past the overflow between 23 - 26 Aug and that there was a leg and a lot of white feathers on the ground. She was kind of enough to email me a photograph she took of the remains and it can be seen below.  Tomorrow I will try and find out what happened. Its absolutely shocking!!

Just one adult and 3 juvenile Mute Swans

And this I'm afraid looks like the remains of the other parent. 

Birds recorded: 1 Great Crested Grebe, 1 Grey Heron, 4 Mute Swan (adult + 3 juveniles), 2 Canada Goose, 70+ Mallard, 14 Tufted Duck, Moorhen, many Coot (adults + 1 chick), 7 Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Wood Pigeon, 1 Kingfisher, 10 Swallows, 2 Grey Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, 2 Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Coal Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Starling, House Sparrow and Goldfinch.

Also seen: Grey Squirrel, Bream and Common Carp